PDA

View Full Version : I bought an old BMW covered in salt deposits. How can i safely remove it?

bimmerd00d
02-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I bought a 91 BMW 318i for a few hundred bucks 2 weeks ago. The paint at first glance was just horrid, and covered with oxidation, but apparently it`s salt. I can rub my finger and it comes off and there`s paint underneath that could probably be revived. It has sat for about a year out in the sun, so i`m sure it`s going to be ruined. I want to see if it`s salvageable before I go the route of having it painted. I just noticed it today, so the only thing i`ve tried is ONR and a coin-op. I`ve tried ONR, and a coin-op with no success. I`m afraid to try a claybar or anything. I spoke to a pro detailer about it earlier and he said try a claybar in an inconspicuous area, which i will do. I figured i`d see if anyone has had any experience with this before

steelwind101
02-10-2010, 01:15 PM
You could always try a nice foam APC bath.

If you say its dust that comes off with your finger but not with water then i would say its probably oxidized or clear coat failure (depending on whats on it?).

I would just hit a small patch with a cleaner wax or decent polish and see what happens. If its a case that you are thinking you need to repaint it you might as well give polishing a try.

2005GTPinMD
02-11-2010, 11:18 AM
What about getting some vinegar? Just rinse it off right away. If it is indeed salt, the vinegar should dissolve it .

charger17
02-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Try this

Mark V Products ::: Soaps ::: Extreme Miracle Cleaner 16oz (http://www.mark-v-online.com/viewproduct.php?product_id=11)

this stuff will even remove some of the oxidation, making it easier to polish