PDA

View Full Version : prediction - your detail business will not survive in the long run !

Pages : [1] 2

Superior Shine
02-09-2010, 08:00 PM
This just in from the ill fated IDA "International Detailing Association" -

The detailers who are start enough to join the IDA and hang the membership certificate and decal on their window and post the certification certificate on the wall are the detailers who will survive and those that do not will not survive in the long run.

As posted here - MW (http://www.autodetailingnetworkforums.com/post?id=2565011&pid=38843123#post38843123)

What a load of CRAP!

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
02-09-2010, 08:07 PM
This just in from the ill fated IDA "International Detailing Association" -

Quote:

The detailers who are start enough to join the IDA and hang the membership certificate and decal on their window and post the certification certificate on the wall are the detailers who will survive and those that do not will not survive in the long run.

As posted here - MW (http://www.autodetailingnetworkforums.com/post?id=2565011&pid=38843123#post38843123)

What a load of CRAP!

HA HA HA... How funny... They didn`t even spell "smart" right!

Good going boys, way to knock one out of the park!

David Fermani
02-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Basically a group of hacks to certify more hacks?

rcrobbins
02-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Oh man, does anyone know where I can print out a copy of that certificate? I`m seriously worried; even a scanned one could work, I just need to get it framed and up ASAP. Next, I dare them to tell me I need an ASE to work on a Porsche...I guess I just live life like the captain of a sinking ship :)

twisted007
02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
lmao i should join soon.

WAS
02-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Kind of an intense call to action.... While I think the IDA is a, well, "interesting" association, I don`t think any of us should underestimate it too much.

"Certification" is a powerful marketing tool. Yes, we (the industry professionals) know that it`s BS, coming from a BS authority. But does the customer know that ? All the customer hears or sees is that this detailer is professionally certified. They don`t really care by who, how, or why, all they care about is reassuring themselves that they`re leaving their vehicle in good hands.

And when you, the real detailer, tries to talk to the same customer and explain why that certification is worth less than the ink it was printed on, even if you`re right, in the eyes of the customer you`re just trying to talk trash about the other business.

Just some food for thought...

Bert
02-18-2010, 01:02 PM
This seems like a group that is more concerned with being compliant with excessive red tape (training, certification, business license, etc) than with providing top quality work for clients.

I noticed our old (now banned) friend Mr. Eco $mart Relaited is a rather active member on that board, what a shock. Remember his numerous posts warning us of the regulators he was so chummy with who will fine all of us ignorant detailers not following the Eco $mart way. He is the type that give environmentalists the stereotype of being extremists.

brwill2005
02-18-2010, 03:31 PM
What makes them think they can determine the long term success or failure of a given business? I understand that they are trying to make the auto detailing industry more professional etc., but that is a ridiculous statement. It sounds as if they are trying too hard to legitimize themselves. The people who will have success in this industry, are the ones who find creative ways to brand, market, and package auto detailing services, as a convenient, and valuable service.

WAS
02-18-2010, 04:58 PM
What makes them think they can determine the long term success or failure of a given business? I understand that they are trying to make the auto detailing industry more professional etc., but that is a ridiculous statement. It sounds as if they are trying too hard to legitimize themselves. The people who will have success in this industry, are the ones who find creative ways to brand, market, and package auto detailing services, as a convenient, and valuable service.

Fully agreed, 100%. But none the less, like I said above, if hacks actually start "buying" these certificates, it could have an impact on us professionals, and we should keep our eyes open.

nyyankees22
02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
I`m with you WAS. I can see this as possibly being a problem at some point down the road...All of us that have an established customer base and do things the correct way know it is a waste of money but the hacks that are trying to gain customers could definitely use it as a marketing way to get some customers...Of course after a detail they would come running back to us but still, stinks for the people who know what they are doing.

WAS
02-22-2010, 06:36 PM
I`m with you WAS. I can see this as possibly being a problem at some point down the road...All of us that have an established customer base and do things the correct way know it is a waste of money but the hacks that are trying to gain customers could definitely use it as a marketing way to get some customers...Of course after a detail they would come running back to us but still, stinks for the people who know what they are doing.

Or even worse, after a bad detail from a hack, the customer never considers using a detail service ever again.

Imagine you went to a certified dentist and he ruined your tooth trying to fill a cavity. How soon would you want to go back to any dentist ?

Being able to just "buy" a certification is bad... those of us that don`t have them will look like (from a marketing perspective) we`re even worse than the hacks that do.

cjf_351
03-30-2010, 09:13 AM
I have an automotive detailing association too. It is called the American Automotive Detailing association. It is only $39.95 to join, and I will send you a certificate and a sticker with a star and an American flag on it! If you are SMART you will send ME your money! I mean join my association.

Hold on a minute. I have to go make a forum to add legitimacy to my business. I mean association.

Envious Eric
03-31-2010, 11:36 PM
my certification process is better....just have to have some wool pads, hi-speed polisher, and wax and you are good to go! I`ll get you certified in 20 minutes, 19 of which will be BS banter! price is well worth it at $19.99. But call and schedule an appointment in the next 20 minutes and your friend with no skill or knowledge in the detailing industry will be instantly certified for free! Thats right, two for the price of one!

Alexshimshimhae
07-27-2010, 10:56 PM
I got you all beat--I talked to the Admin, and I have decided to be the founder of The American Association of Autopian Detailers United. Admin will be the Chairman of the Board, we got Accum to be CEO, We got Scottwax as COO we got positions for one and all. (and me? I`ll I guess be the towel boy ) our moto will be "All your cars are belong to us".

luohu
09-15-2010, 08:48 PM
I just starts. Ha ha.but my car is very cool.