PDA

View Full Version : Klasse Twins Newbie Question...

Pages : [1] 2

acbent
02-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi,

First I`d like to say I find this forum very informative. I have been doing a fair bit of reading and find it very helpful. Thanks for that.

I`m expecting my Klasse Twins to arrive via mail soon. I live in Canada - the Maritimes specifically and we have terrible conditions here as far as sand and salt go.

I have read that after applying the AIO product that I can then apply a very thin coat of Sealant Glaze. I can then layer it again after a curing period of 24 hours.

My question is this: If I do this in our shop at the school where I teach, can I then go out in the cold say an hour after that? Will the glaze cure or will the cold halt the curing process? I want to do this right but can`t leave the car in the shop for an extended period of time.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

acbent
02-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Anyone? I can`t even find contact info for the manufacturer to ask them.

I`d appreciate guidance.

Thanks,

Adam

pootoo12000
02-10-2010, 08:39 AM
If you use the WOWO method to apply, you should be fine. It is critical to keep the car dry, however. Klasse works better than most at low temps. Keeping it dry for 12-24 hours will ensure maximum longevity.

baker
02-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Hi acbent, I am on the south shore of Nova Scotia. While I have used Klasse in colder weather, I do prefer something like Blackfire wd, or FMJ, both of whicjh are easy to use almost anytime. I just finished topping FMJ with Aquawax about an hour ago. But as pootoo said if you wipe it on and wipe it off, there should be no problems.

acbent
02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi pootoo12000 and BAKER!

Thanks very much for the info. I`m going to use my Klasse twins and try the WOWO method.

When you refer to WOWO, do you guys mean to put the AIO and Sealant on and immediately wipe them off? - AIO first, then followed by Sealant of course. Or should I let each dry to a haze first before wiping off? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks again.

Adam

baker
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Wipe the aio on very thinly using a damp foam pad than take your microfiber and wipe it off immediately. Same with the SG. Where are you located in the maritimes?

acbent
02-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey Baker,

I live in Back Bay, NB close to St George.

I like your application instructions. Sounds relatively easy.

Our power mechanics teacher was in to the shop after school as I was washing my car. He used to do detailing and told me I should polish the car to get rid of the swirls. He said get ready to spend a day or two: strip wax, polish, glaze, AIO and sealant. WOW! Not sure I`m ready to be that thorough. I can`t leave the car in the shop that long. I may try all of the above this summer.

Thanks again,

Adam

P.S. Don`t laugh - my car is a 2007 Kia Rio 5! I have an 06 Dodge Grand Caravan too. Would like to clean it up and protect the paint on that as well.

baker
02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey Adam the car don`t matter, its always better looking if the paint is immaculate. And worth more on a trade. I just traded my 4 year old car and got my asking/ demanding price as it looked brand new. But I did pick a bad time to keep a new car looking good, especially in Bridgewater.

acbent
02-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I`ve always kept my cars in great shape. The usual wash wax, interior shampooing, protectant etc. I also do my own rust check at the school. I buy the product and body plugs, drill, fog the doors, rocker panels, panels and apply a heavier oil-based undercoat to the undercarriage. There`s nothing like having a couple of hoists at your disposal!

Bridgewater, eh? Do you know Shane Strong? He`s a paramedic. He`s a buddy of mine I met through my flight simulation and graphic design hobbies. He lived right on the water on the main drag in Bridgewater. I visited him the summer before last - good times!

Thanks again for the help!

Adam

baker
02-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Although I don`t know Shane Strong, its possible I would know him by face as it is a small town and not too many paramedics. And your welcome, Autopia is a great community, although expensive as I keep buying the things I read about on here. I probably have over $1000 to $2000 in waxes, sealants, and polishes, and the tools to go with them.

Accumulator
02-12-2010, 11:03 AM
.. my car is a 2007 Kia Rio 5! I have an 06 Dodge Grand Caravan too. Would like to clean it up and protect the paint on that as well.

The Klasse twins (heavy layering of the KSG) are my choice on my minivan. Once I get the KSG layered heavily enough (usually six coats), all I have to do is wash it for a long, long time.

acbent
02-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Hi guys,

I`m pumped...guess what arrived in the mail today?!? :clap: My package containing the Klasse Twins, CG Synthetic Quick Detailer and 4 MF towels. Unfortunately I have to take my wife and 10 month old boy to Fredericton for the weekend. Hope she doesn`t see this post!

I plan to do the AIO next week in the school shop, then begin my layering of SG.

Accumulator, you say a "long long time". With several coats, Could I actually get through a year with all the salt and sand we have here? I`d probably put a coat on in the summer too along with the regular washing etc.

Baker, I can see myself going down that big $$$ road too!

Thanks again both of you! Much appreciated.

ThomasC
02-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Never really tried the wipe on , wipe off method, I figure that the people who make the Twins know what they are talking about, and the bottles say to wait before removing....

beastie
02-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Another way I`ve applied SG (although not the ideal/preferred way) is to leave the SG on. Then wash the car to wipe it off. Found this by accident. I had washed the car and had just put on a layer of SG when it started to rain. I just washed the following day and there was nothing to buff off afterwards. It was just as shiny as if I just applied SG the regular way.

Accumulator
02-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Eh...I never found KSG hard to work with, and I`m usually applying it to the minivan (which I`m none too fond of, so I`m sensitive to things being a PIA ;) ).

I use the W-O-W-O on black plastic trim (less chance of residual excess in the texture), but on paint I like to let it dry for a good long time before I buff it off. Usually overnight, but I`ve even waited a few days just to see what`d happen (came off easily).

The whole thing is to put it on *THIN*. So thin you can`t see it on colors like silver and just *barely* see it on black. I do fog the surface with my breath when I buff it off, but I do that with most all my LSPs.