PDA

View Full Version : Best glass polish???

ratbastard
02-07-2010, 04:25 PM
The cost doesn`t matter, looking for the best glass polish for light to medium scratches on glass. Just got the windows tinted on my old Cougar and the scratches look bad in the sunlight!

wannafbody
02-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Glass polish won`t remove scratches. You need something like the Diamondite kit and a rotary.

solstice
02-07-2010, 05:56 PM
or the lake country glass kit which includes the cerium oxide required.. Just remember when using cerium oxide or any polish for that matter with a rotory to make sure it doesn`t heat up to much, because you can seriously distort the glass, which can only be fixed by replacing the glass.

craigdt
02-08-2010, 09:11 AM
^^ This

ratbastard
02-08-2010, 08:00 PM
thanks for the suggestions. any products out there that don`t require a drill or rotatory?

solstice
02-08-2010, 09:12 PM
unlikely as the cerium oxide needs agitation.. The problem is by performing this task by hand, your great grand children would still be working on it and probably wouldn`t ever get properly even either.

2011wahoo
02-08-2010, 09:36 PM
In order to make a scratch "disappear" on glass you must remove glass from around the scratch in order to make the surrounding glass level with the bottom of the scratch, the same way you do with removing a scratch on a painted surface. CO is what is used to do this. However, when performing this process on glass, it is nearly impossible to do so without creating distortion. Try using Meguiars #4 Heavy Cut Cleaner with a foam cutting pad on a DA or rotary. It will not remove deep scratches but it will greatly improve the surface of the glass and reduce the light scattering effect that you are experiencing.

Passrat
02-10-2010, 05:26 AM
What about the lake country glass pad?

Lake Country 5.5 Inch Glass Polishing Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-glass-polishing-pad.html)

I realize the OP doesn`t want to use a DA or drill but in case he changes his mind (as seems necessary) wouldn`t this work with a glass polish or compound?

I`m partially asking because I bought one to use myself on my water etched windows with a DA, but havent gotten around to it yet. (maybe in the spring)