PDA

View Full Version : Too cold to clean and condition leather?

imported_RedlineIRL
02-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Is there a certain temperature limit where cleaning and protecting leather is actually doing nothing? I thought I remember reading an article posted somewhere that said if applying either in temperatures less than 50 degress, the conditioner is more less just sitting on top of the leather surface rather than being absorbed. I can`t remember where I read it at though to post the article. The products I will be using are Zaino Z9 and Z10. I`d like to clean the interior up, but don`t want to do it if it`s just going to be useless and not fully clean and protect. Has anyone else heard this before about leather cleaning products only being used above a certain temperature limit?

rcrobbins
02-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I`m unsure of the temp limit, but I`ve seen videos where people open the pores in the leather with a blow dryer on low to work the product in after it`s applied on the cold leather.

evolutionwc3
02-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I`m not sure of an exact temp range, but if your work area isn`t adequately heated just open the doors to the vehicle and point your halogens in there

steelwind101
02-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi!

I dont know if read other recent threads on here but why are you going to condition your leather?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/127096-new-tan-leather-seat-protecatant.html

Yadda-yadda, a few of us have mentioned all that a million times before but....

In away your right, conditioners do sit on the top of coated leather, so theres a reason 100% not to apply it. What you dont wipe away seaps in to the gaps and sits in there collecting oil and dirt.

Second, it will only attract dirt, cause you to clean more often and encourage damage. Your statement is kind addressed in the thread above.

Geoff

Barry Theal
02-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I`m unsure of the temp limit, but I`ve seen videos where people open the pores in the leather with a blow dryer on low to work the product in after it`s applied on the cold leather.

Great answer. I use a heat gun on low before hand and work in the product!

Hey, Moe!
02-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Barry-You might need that heat gun to melt some snow now......

steelwind101
02-07-2010, 06:45 AM

:ignore, what you see in the videos might not be what is happening in real life. It depends on the leather type, but most auto leather is "coated" the pores are super tiny and only allow for water to pass, very small amounts. Not fats, not oils found in most "conditioners". That junk conditioner sits on the outside and then you wipe it off, a small amount probably stays in the cracks etc.