PDA

View Full Version : Making Extractor

mini1
02-03-2010, 07:09 PM
A while ago, I read somewhere that someone made an extractor out of their normal wet/dry van and some type of a special garden hose attachment spray nozzle. It was a cold water extractor, but they said it worked fairly well.

Anyone have any ideas or pictures? I`d like to make something where I could plug a garden hose into my regular vac suction line and use it as an extractor.

vtec92civic
02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
yeah someone post up. I tried to do a quick google search and came up empty handed

salty
02-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Bissel used to make a tap hookup all the way to the nozzle end. It has been discontinued, but there might be parts on the net. Also check ebay. It was kind of a fragile thing, but it served me well years ago.

Used a Shop Vac for suction with a very narrow end steel extractor crevice tool, with a 1 1/4" hose. How`s that for a sentence. Anyways it worked well.

StadiumDetail
02-04-2010, 09:52 AM
If you are pretty handy it would be better and cheaper to buy the parts from the manuf. and build the chassis yourself. The actual hardware would run about $800-1000 depending on how much you needed, like the hose/spray nozzle and other accessories, the rest of the price of an $1800 extractor is the tanks, chassis and markup. Depending on how creative you are you could get away with a full blown hot water extractor for around $800 which is a steal.

Accumulator
02-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Bissel used to make a tap hookup all the way to the nozzle end. It has been discontinued, but there might be parts on the net. Also check ebay. It was kind of a fragile thing, but it served me well years ago.

Used a Shop Vac for suction with a very narrow end steel extractor crevice tool, with a 1 1/4" hose. How`s that for a sentence. Anyways it worked well.

My oldest Bissell extractor works that way, and so did the Sears carpet cleaning attachment for their wet/dry vacs (talk about fragile! And it`s discontinued too).

Note that neither of those sprayed as well as my Century/Ninja extractor, nor do any of my other comsumer-grade carpet cleaning machines. And the heater of the Century gets the water mighty hot; you`d have to crank up your water heater to match it.

So while you certainly *can* put together something that`ll work, IME it won`t work as well as a true, heated, commercial-grade extractor. Such units are often available used, and even if they need a little work they can be a good buy.

Oh, and I find that even my most narrow metal crevice tool still leaves more water behind than the small Bissell "upholstery nozzle" that came with my Big Green Powerbrush. I cobbled together an adaptor so I can use it on my Century and it always gets things drier than any of my (numerous) other choices. It has a built-in spray nozzle, so if you could figure out how to run your water line to it that might be a good way to DIY such a system. No, I haven`t done that; I spray with the Century`s sprayer and extract with the Bissell nozzle.

The Bissell part # is 2159154 "Uphol Assm Long" and the price was $14 last time I ordered one.