PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip Question

Kenney
02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I recently got nice scrape/chip on my passenger door, but I do not have time to spend right now to experiment with filling the chip. Since the scrape/chip goes to the bare metal, would it be a good idea to get some touch-up primer ( does such a thing exist?) to "lightly" fill the chip to coat the metal to prevent rust? I live in Southern CA. Will filling the chip with a small amount of primer, leaving that alone until I get the right products to do a decent touch-up, over a period of a month or two cause any problems when I am ready to do the full repair job?

Accumulator
02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Kenney- I`d track down some "rust converter" and use that instead. It cures into a kind of primer anyhow, and IME it can arrest (or at least retard) rusting quite effectively even if you don`t apply any touchup paint.

I do this on to-the-metal chips all the time, and have for years with good results.

But some converters are a lot better/worse than others and my fave isn`t on the market any more so I`m not sure what to recommend.

Regular primers are, IME, infinitely inferior for this sort of thing. For one thing, they`re usually fairly porous, which is the last thing you want. Buy the converter instead.

Kenney
02-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Accum,

Is rust converter something I can pick up at an auto parts store or a paint speciality store?

Thanks

Accumulator
02-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Kenney- Sorry, I really don`t know as I always ordered mine.

See if you can google up something on "rust converter". There are a scad of them on the market and I bet somebody sells it in a small, touchup style container.