PDA

View Full Version : removing old hard to reach adhesive from glass

pasadena_commut
01-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Today the dealer "temporary ID sticker", which the previous owner had left in place for 7 years, was scraped off the inside of the windshield with a razorblade. I got all of the sticker and paper, and most of the adhesive, but the silly thing was placed very low and forward, and it is very hard to get to the bottom edge of it. There is still some half dried, half gooey adhesive left, mostly on the hard to reach positions. What would be a safe way to remove it given that the top of the dash is maybe half an inch away, and there are some intake vents nearby too?

The car is a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid.

Thanks.

levander
01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
You`ve tried just spraying some Stoner Invisible Glass on it? I had some sticky stuff on my drivers window, I don`t even know what it was. But, a few passes of Invisible Glass and the chemicals caused the sticky stuff to gather and was eventually able to wipe it off with a MF and some elbow grease.

You can get Invisible Glass OTC at Wal-mart or Target. Target`s got better cheap MF`s to use with it though.

blkacgsr
01-30-2010, 07:23 PM
If you have a long paint scraper, the flat razor blade type, it can reach there. Just use that and then clean it up with your window cleaner.

lasthope05
01-30-2010, 08:03 PM
1. Goo gone or and petrol based cleaner

2. Rubber band or string

3. Standard 12" Ruler

4. Microfiber towel

Im sure you can figure the rest out. :chuckle:

imported_Jakerooni
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
this is what you need.

http://www.toolfetch.com/media/41204.jpg

Accumulator
01-31-2010, 12:13 PM
First, I`d find a way to protect the dash. Better safe than sorry and, well [stuff] happens. I`d probably use some heavy-duty aluminum foil, tucking it between the windshield and the dash.

Then I`d most likely use long swabs dampened with 3M Adhesive Remover.

Note that some of todays`s autoglass is mighty soft, and can be damaged by metal razor blades. I do sometimes still use them, but I try to get the job done with plastic razor blades instead.

Flashtime
02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/127051-autotech-adhesive-remover.html

:)

Beelzebot
02-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I use an old wooden yardstick with a MF rag on the end of it, over a bed of newspapers laid on top of the dash. The yardstick will flex before too much pressure is exerted on the glass, and the length gives you enough leverage for stubborn spots in hard to reach areas.

pasadena_commut
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
In the end I covered the dash with some cardboard, then took the adhesive off with nail polish remover on cotton balls, followed by glass cleaner on paper towels. I`m sure other solvents would have worked, but the wife already had a bottle of nail polish remover, so I used that.

Zoraduntov
02-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Isn`t your corvette silver ?

Accumulator
02-08-2010, 12:34 PM
In the end I covered the dash with some cardboard, then took the adhesive off with nail polish remover on cotton balls, followed by glass cleaner on paper towels. I`m sure other solvents would have worked, but the wife already had a bottle of nail polish remover, so I used that.

Glad you found something that worked OK. Those cotton balls can be handy for all sorts of things.

Junebug
02-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Wife hasn`t caught me yet, but I use her T-Fal spatulas with a MF towel