PDA

View Full Version : Best way to protect new paint?

shortskoolbus
01-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Just purchased a new car and am trying to decide between the optimum and zaino products. Sorry I hope you guys will bare with me here it`s been a while since i`ve researched any new products.

On my old vehicle i was using the Klasse AIO twins but the application was such a PITA that it`s time for me to find something new.

First I am a little confused about the Zaino system. The kit they sell online includes Z2 and Z5, but both seem to serve the same purpose. Are these supposed to be used together?

I am seeing pretty good things about the Optimum products. Can i use OOS on top of Z2/Z5, or do i need to stick with the Zaino system? Can i use OCW yet on top of that?

Lastly, for new paint, is it even necessary to go with an abrasive cleaner at this point? Or can i just wash and use OOS or Zaino CS?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan
01-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Stick with a single system. IMO, the Optimum system is much easier to work with.

ONR for washes

OID for touchups and extra gloss

Polyseal as a awesome 1 step to remove light swirls

Opti-seal is a very easy to use sealant that works

OCW as a great and easy to use wax

The Zaino will look a bit brighter/more blingy but its harder to use, more expensive and its protective abilities are debatable. Sal says it best, its a "Show Car Polish" Optimum is great for a daily driver.

BobD
01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Any reason you choose Optimum or Zaino? Just curious. I like Four Star stuff myself.

Dan
01-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Any reason you choose Optimum or Zaino? Just curious. I like Four Star stuff myself.

Both get lots of press even though they aren`t in any way connected to this site? :nervous2:

Sir Clean
01-30-2010, 08:25 AM
I am leaning toward glass coating for long lasting paint protection. Carnauba wax and polymer sealant are not as hard as glass-based coating.

brwill2005
01-30-2010, 08:44 AM
I am leaning toward glass coating for long lasting paint protection. Carnauba wax and polymer sealant are not as hard as glass-based coating.

What exactly is a glass based coating? Can you give an example of this type of coating. As for the response to the OP, keep it simple and choose a good paint sealant. IMO, the difference between the best manufacturers is marginal. Of course the best thing you can do for your car`s paint, is to properly wash it on a regular basis. One can even use OCW while drying to protect paint. OCW layers up very nicely after a few quick applications while drying.

DETAILKING
01-30-2010, 08:52 AM
I have been using the Zaino system for years and it`s great for a daily driver. Last year, while we were planning our wedding I had limited time to spend with my car and Zaino seemed to last forever with biweekly washes, and I would alternate z6 and z8 with every wash. I prefer z5 on lighter colors and z2 on darker colors. If the car is clean and swirl free you won`t need aio or zpc. Clearseal is also an option if you are looking to save time, assuming you are starting with a clean car. I like to apply cs over a base coat of z2 or zaio, but it is not necessary. I would at least wash and clay the car though so you are starting with a really clean, smooth surface.......and maintain after each wash with z6 or z8. Also, a little product goes a long way, so bottles should last you a while.

Sir Clean
01-30-2010, 06:44 PM
What exactly is a glass based coating? Can you give an example of this type of coating. As for the response to the OP, keep it simple and choose a good paint sealant. IMO, the difference between the best manufacturers is marginal. Of course the best thing you can do for your car`s paint, is to properly wash it on a regular basis. One can even use OCW while drying to protect paint. OCW layers up very nicely after a few quick applications while drying.

Here is one of the market leaders in this segment. Home (http://www.crystalguard.jp/)

You can layer it over the previous coat for better protection and shine.

David Fermani
01-30-2010, 06:51 PM
Just purchased a new car and am trying to decide between the optimum and zaino products.

This product is proving to be very durable so far:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/126661-optimum-opti-coating-durability-test-review.html

But, you can`t go wrong with the Zaino system. It`s a very unique product line that I absolutely love using. :up

JohnKleven
01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Here is one of the market leaders in this segment. Home (http://www.crystalguard.jp/)

You can layer it over the previous coat for better protection and shine.

It looks like a great website, but I believe it`s been written in Canadian, and I can`t read it.

JohnKleven
01-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Crystal Guard seems like it might be a lot like Nanoskin. Which creates a sol-gel, and is very hydrophobic and long lasting. Good luck, and let us know how the product works out for you.

John

shortskoolbus
02-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks. I think I`ll try out the Optimum products then :)

Being a new car, can I just use OOS and then top with OCW? Or do i need to apply something else before the OOS?