PDA

View Full Version : zep big orange

gwoodtitans
01-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey everyody I usually clean farm trucks and cars that drive out in the country alot. They always have road oil on them from the country roads melting in the summer. A farmer introduced me to some stuff called Zep Big Orange. I guess its a degreaser but i put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the areas with road oil and the oil starts to run off the surface. Sometimes it takes a couple applications to get it all off but it usually doesnt need much agitation. Is this safe for the finish? It doesnt seem to hurt anyting. It has the same effect as diesel fuel on road oil but i think its safer for the paint. Is there anything else you would recommend for road oil? Clay doesnt work. Some of you may want to try it but Im pretty sure you can only get it at brandt. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Chris

focus2069
01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Hey everyody I usually clean farm trucks and cars that drive out in the country alot. They always have road oil on them from the country roads melting in the summer. A farmer introduced me to some stuff called Zep Big Orange. I guess its a degreaser but i put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the areas with road oil and the oil starts to run off the surface. Sometimes it takes a couple applications to get it all off but it usually doesnt need much agitation. Is this safe for the finish? It doesnt seem to hurt anyting. It has the same effect as diesel fuel on road oil but i think its safer for the paint. Is there anything else you would recommend for road oil? Clay doesnt work. Some of you may want to try it but Im pretty sure you can only get it at brandt. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Chris

zep is good stuff.

they carry it at Home Depot.

I get their regular degreaser...was actually looking at the Citrus stuff (big orange) about 30 minutes ago...

gwoodtitans
01-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Its pretty powerful on road oil and i also use it to get soot off of exhaust tips

jeteast99
01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
What is the cost?

Poordude
01-28-2010, 10:04 PM
It is a basic high concentrate D"limonene based degreaser. Any jan-san or industrial chemical supply store has similar products.

imported_Jakerooni
01-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Read the label. I don`t think any ZEP products are safe for paint. (at least according to their labels) I used to use them alot but the more reading I did the less and less I used them. Now I didn`t see any adverse effects from using said products but they do clearly put it on the label to not use it on painted surfaces.

lasthope05
01-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Zep citrus is perfectly fine to use on paint. The only real problem is if you let it dry as it results in staining like any other type of cleaner. For exterior, I use it at 10:1 and for engine and tire cleaning 4:1.

gwoodtitans
01-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I havent tried diluting it at all but i probably should. I only do one panel at a time and rinse it off right away. I do this after the initial rinse and befor the wash. I dont know how much it costs because it was given to me by a customer to use on his truck.

focus2069
01-29-2010, 12:26 AM
oh, i would only use that stuff on engines, wheels/wheel wells.

wouldnt use it on paint.

nrengle
01-29-2010, 06:47 AM
10 bucks a gallon at Home Depot. I use it for many different things. 2:1 for wheels and wheel wells. 30 to 1 for interior cleaning (super mild), 10 to 1 for engine (though I`ll grab 2 to 1 for really nasty spots. It`s also great around the house, 19 to 1 for a kitchen degreaser/cleaner, works great as a presoak in the sink for nasty caked on crap from the broiler an ounce to a sink full of water does wonders that soap alone can`t. And I also use it in place of the refills for the Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner. It`s like an about a 15 to 1 mix for that. Helps cut the soap scum easily.

gwoodtitans
01-31-2010, 12:40 PM
ya i think its meant as a household cleaner

If its not good for paint, what would be good for road oil?

Harold97
01-31-2010, 05:30 PM
We used to use lots of the aerosol cans of Big Orange when I worked at a bicycle store and I never saw it harm painted or metal surfaces, but it will melt plastic.

We had a problem with yellow jacket hornets and found that even the smallest shot of Big Orange would kill them on contact!