PDA

View Full Version : Emblem on trunk of C5 vette ( how do you detail inside of it without removing it?)

Zoraduntov
01-27-2010, 12:02 AM
This could apply to any emblem that`s circular and tricky to get at.

I`m looking for some tips on cleaning and polishing around and inside of it without removing it . Any ideas out there ?

black03mach
01-27-2010, 12:15 AM
i took mine off, but q tips soaked in a paint safe all purpose cleaner to cleanthe old residue, and qtips with some polish to clean it up

Zoraduntov
01-27-2010, 12:28 AM
When you took it off did you have to buy another one?

Zoraduntov
01-27-2010, 12:29 AM
And how did you remove it ?

vtec92civic
01-27-2010, 01:52 AM
usually the emblems are held on by some type of double stick tape or adhesive.

To take emblems off usually you would need a heat gun/blow dryer and some dental floss to slide between the adhesive and the paint which cuts it free.

Zoraduntov
01-27-2010, 07:31 PM
I think i`ll leave it on and do the best I can..

Street5927
01-28-2010, 12:16 AM
A Q-tip does work well. If you have a small boars hair detailing brush, you can clean inside with that. To apply the wax, sealant, etc. I use a Q-tip wrapped in a good MF towel, and remove the wax, sealant that same way (wrapped Q-tip).

black03mach
01-28-2010, 02:37 AM
When you took it off did you have to buy another one?

No, it came off in one piece its very durable plastic, I never put it back, the one on the rear bumper doesnt have holes so i just polished it and you cant even tell there was an emblem

And how did you remove it ?

heat gun and dental floss, lots of 3m adhesive remover

Accumulator
01-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Doing the inside of emblems can take a long, long time if you have significant marring to correct, even with products like M105/M205. When I do the inside of Audi rings emblems (by hand), it takes longer than the whole trunk like did via machine.

A Q-tip does work well.

Yeah, just don`t press hard enough to mar the paint with the stick and be use to use the cotton swab damp with some kind of product (the cotton wadding will almost always mar paint, check it out with magnification and it`ll shock you).

If you have a small boars hair detailing brush, you can clean inside with that.

While I`m a *BIG* proponent of BHBs, I`d only use them wet, and I`d CD test both before the first use and frequently thereafter. My smaller BHBs aren`t as gentle as my "regular"/big ones and I have to be very careful with them.

To apply the wax, sealant, etc. I use a Q-tip wrapped in a good MF towel, and remove the wax, sealant that same way (wrapped Q-tip).

I do stuff like that when correcting marring too. The fine nap of the MF can get into the tight spots quite well. You can *VERY CAREFULLY* try the following too:

- whittle down a wooden swab stick so it`s like a very small flat screwdriver. Flag the "screwdriver tip"-like end of it with a razor blade. Soak it in a QD like Meg`s #34 until it softens up, and use that in the tight spots. But man-oh-man do you have to be careful lest you mar the paint.

-do something similar but without the QD soak, and use it wrapped in a very plush MF. Don`t press so hard that the stick pokes through the MF or otherwise mars the paint.