PDA

View Full Version : LC Hydro-Techs vs Surbuf R-Series Pads

jbnery6465
01-25-2010, 02:13 PM
I have 1 LC CCS Orange that came with my PC kit and am looking for alternate pads for my Meg105. So I have several cars that have a lot of swirling and marring. Anyone have any experience using both the Hydro-Techs and the Surbuf pads? What are you thoughts between the 2, pros and cons? thanks in advance for any help from anyone.

maxepr1
01-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Well I don`t know if this will help but, I have been using the Hydro-techs since they have came out and I find myself going to them every time! When I do my test spots I`ll start with Hydro`s and test other pads as well but I always find the Hydro`s finishing nicer! With the exception of a few cars (SAAB,PONTIAC,PRE-80`s MERCEDES) they always win out. Resonably priced and they are LC and we all know there reputation. Surbuf R-Series I have not tried. I tried somr of there pads a few years ago (can`t remember which one`s) and didn`t like there durability? But pads have come along way in the last few years, so I should give them a whirl again. But I`m the kind of guy when I find something that works I stick with it! But that`s my .02$. Hope that helps.

Rob Tomlin
01-25-2010, 08:30 PM
I LOVE the hydro tech pads! I agree with Maxepr1 above, the tangerine finishes very nice..and still has enough bite to remove minor imperfections with M205 or similar.

Haven`t tried the surbuf`s though.

craigdt
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I would say that the surbuf are for pretty serious swirleage. Finish down good, but more for compounding.

I have a tangerine hydrotech but havent given it a try yet, but I have pretty high expectations.

Get both :D

Polished&Waxed
01-26-2010, 05:44 AM
they look like the old sonus pads? are they similiar?

Accumulator
01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I would say that the surbuf are for pretty serious swirleage. Finish down good, but more for compounding...

Right. Those are for serious correction and even their most adamant proponentes (e.g., Kevin Bronw) advise that SurBuf pads are best left to people with a fair bit of experience.

..[the HyroTech pads] look like the old sonus pads? are they similiar?

The Tangerine ones are more like the Griot`s orange.

imported_Jakerooni
01-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Haven`t tried the surbuf pads but I`ve been fairly impressed so far with the hydrotec pads on the rotary. Don`t seem to last long. my blue one was shredded after the first use and there were no sharp corners or badging to catch on to do it (porsche boxster) Talked to several others about it and we all think it was just an odd pad. The orange one finishes down very nice.

jbnery6465
01-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the replies, BTW I`m using a PC 7424XP. I think I`ll give the Hydro-Techs a try, I`ve heard good things about them and I hope that it`ll help with longer working time.

The CCS Orange did very well, the reason I was inquiring is because there are several scratches on the paint that actually look deep. And deep as in looks like grooves, even if I can`t feel them with my fingernail. I`ve seen something similar after a friend used the rough green part of the scotch pad to clean his car. In this case, would wet sanding be the only way?

Accumulator
01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
.. there are several scratches on the paint that actually look deep. And deep as in looks like grooves, even if I can`t feel them with my fingernail. I`ve seen something similar after a friend used the rough green part of the scotch pad to clean his car. In this case, would wet sanding be the only way?

Wetsanding probably isn`t the *only* way to get those out, but sometimes it`s a safe way to go because you can control what`s going on. Yeah, it`s very aggressive, but you can go stroke-by-stroke which is often more control that you`ll get when being very aggressive via machine.

BUT...I`d give some serious thought to just living with them. I hardly ever take out stuff like that on my vehicles as I`d rather have thick clear. On the vehicles where I *have* gone ahead and removed deep marring, I often second-guess myself after the fact and sorta wish I`d not done it.

Unless you`ve already done, say...eight or more section passes with M105 and PFW or at least some other 4" cutting pad, maybe you just need to get a *little* more aggressive in order to make things livable.