PDA

View Full Version : Will Clear Bra cause different paint oxidation?

jetmaker
01-24-2010, 08:01 PM
I have a Red Audi. I was considering putting a clear bra on. I was considering a partial hood and a full hood.

I wanted some opinions. If you put a partial hood and then remove it a few years later there will be a difference in colour. Is this the red basecoat that changes due to UV light? Or is it just the top layer clearcoat.

Basicly I am worried that if I remove it then polish the hood will I see a line where the paint changed colours?

Anyone know if its just on the surface or though the whole layer of paint?

Roman

mini1
01-24-2010, 08:17 PM
If you keep up with the rest of the paint and make sure it is always protected, then there should be little fade. If you let the car go and neglect it, then there could be some fade.

jimmie jam
01-27-2010, 04:10 PM
i don`t believe that there is any UV protection on/in the film so should not make a difference. i currently have it on three of my vehicles but have never removed any of it to see. FWIW.

Street5927
01-28-2010, 12:24 AM
There are UV protectors in some clear bra`s, such as the ones below. However, as stated, if you keep up with the rest of the vehicles surface, the difference should be minimal.

Car Bra Clear Bra ClearBra Invisible Auto Paint Protection Film Vancouver ClearBra.ca (http://www.clearbra.ca/)

Autogeek
01-28-2010, 08:23 AM
You can see in this pic how much deeper the paint on this CTS-V was after I pulled the clear bra off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/MattZ28/CTSV%20detail/IMG_6449.jpg

Of course, the difference would have been more dramatic if they didn`t apply the clear bra over heavily swirled paint! :o

coryl
01-28-2010, 10:36 AM
What`s the difference in the price for partial or full hood?

In a few years you will need to remove the clearbra and replace it anyways (they don`t last forever, it`s just thin plastic). Then just get it reinstalled to where you had it placed before, and then you won`t see a difference even if there is a difference. You are protecting the car from chips with the potential for rust, and it`s the first portion of the hood that gets the brunt this damage...if you keep the car that long, someday you might want to repaint the car, and then you`d just repaint your hood to match the rest, all with the money you saved from doing the clear bras on full hoods. Or use the $`s towards adding clear bra on more vulnerable areas such as door, headlight, and wheel areas.

And remember, even if you clear bra the entire hood, the upper sides of your car will fade anyways, so you`ll have a darker red hood, and more fadded upper sides if you remove the clear bra permanently...you just can`t clear bra the entire car...

Just my $.02.