PDA

View Full Version : durability of BFWD

Envious Eric
01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
tried searching, but cant find it...

what is the durability of ONE layer of BFWD after a solid prep - clay, compound, polish, glaze (DWG)? are we talking 2-3 months or 4-6 with proper washing once a week with OTC car wash soap like nxt or gold class wash, not once a month. (keeping in mind hand washing more frequently will degrade a wax faster than washing rarely)

gdal
01-18-2010, 04:17 PM
first of all, which version do you have? I have seen the polycharged one last about 3-4 months with really good prep work and good maintenance.

Envious Eric
01-18-2010, 05:18 PM
polycharged

gdal
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
The car was non-garaged and it was applied in late September. It might last you longer `cause you are in Cali.

Cleaning Fool
01-18-2010, 05:44 PM
3 months generally, but depends on rainfall, garaged or not, humidity, how often you wash and so on.

Make it shine!
01-18-2010, 07:24 PM
IMO one coat of BFWD does not last much longer then 2-3 months on a DD. I applied BFWD, with polycharger, on a few customers cars in November it looked really nice when first applied but I was dissapointed when they came back in recently for upkeep. They all loved the way there cars looked for the first couple of weeks but said after that it was very flat and they found it didn`t hold up as well as what i used previously which in most cases was either Megs 21 or 845. Just thought I`d put my two cents in.

wannafbody
01-18-2010, 08:05 PM
first of all, which version do you have? I have seen the polycharged one last about 3-4 months with really good prep work and good maintenance.

Good maintence? The more you wash the faster a product degrades. If you are using QD`s and spray waxes for maintence you don`t know how long the product is really lasting since you haven`t established a baseline for the sealant alone.

gdal
01-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Good maintence? The more you wash the faster a product degrades. If you are using QD`s and spray waxes for maintence you don`t know how long the product is really lasting since you haven`t established a baseline for the sealant alone.

I agree with you with "the more you wash the faster a product degrades", but I can tell the difference in beading when I`m applying a quick OCW or QD to a previous sealant/wax application. QDs (or OCW) won`t restore the initial characteristics of most sealants/waxes.

I know this is not a good example, but here`s my point. I winter prep my vehicle last September (late) and I haven`t washed really washed it since then. I had a chance to washed it last Saturday with ONR and I did a quick touch up with OCW. The final result was the the paint was still beading, but it wasn`t the typical 845 crazy beading. To me that is a sign that the 845 is almost gone and that the beading I was seeing was the OCW.

My 2 cents ... but I`m not expert in this matter at all.

wannafbody
01-18-2010, 09:13 PM
With 845 you`ll know when it`s dying when your MF drying towel no longer leaves tiny water beads. OCW should change the beading charactaristics of 845 based on the photos that I`ve seen.