PDA

View Full Version : New here, about to load up on some detailing gear

sirmalloc
01-12-2010, 12:45 AM
I`ve been lurking here for a while after noticing way too many swirls on my 2006 M Roadster, so I figured it was time to learn how things work and fix it myself. I`m trying to load up a cart over at AutoGeek with some gear to allow me to fix most of the swirls and maintain the paint through future washing. I`d like your opinion as to if I`m overlooking anything essential or useful. Here`s what I`ve got so far:

Porter Cable 7424XP with Meguiar`s products (#105, #205, 3 7-inch cutting pads, 2 7-inch finishing pads, 2 5.5-inch red soft wax pads, Pinnacle XMT pad conditioner, 2 Cobra microfiber detailing cloths, and a 5-inch backing plate)

Meguiar`s #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Counterweight for Porter Cable

2 5-gallon buckets + grit guards

Wolfgang Auto Bathe

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine

303 Convertible top kit

Cobra Supreme Guzzler Waffle-Weave

Cobra washing sponge

Tire brush kit

I already own a clay bar and and Meguiar`s Tech Wax, but not much else. I want a good kit to clean and correct the paint and maintain it going forward - so am I missing anything?

BigAl3
01-12-2010, 01:01 AM
Porter Cable 7424XP with Meguiar`s products (#105, #205, 3 7-inch cutting pads, 2 7-inch finishing pads, 2 5.5-inch red soft wax pads, Pinnacle XMT pad conditioner, 2 Cobra microfiber detailing cloths, and a 5-inch backing plate

get this kit and order a 3pk of the white pads as well...

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze (http://autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html)

sirmalloc
01-12-2010, 05:41 PM
get this kit and order a 3pk of the white pads as well...

Meguiars Porter Cable Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads, Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze Polishing Kit, Meguiars polishes, Porter Cable 7424 Mirror Glaze (http://autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html)

Thanks for the tip. The more I kept researching, the more I saw a lot of good things about the Lake Country pads, so I just ordered the PC by itself and then got a large LC pad kit with several options. Looking forward to getting my car back to a like-new state.

imported_paintxpert
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
To be a true pro you will need a variable speed Makita or Hitachi ROTARY polisher. Dont be afraid to teach yourself paint correction which is 60 percent of being a CAPABLE detailer.

Rob Tomlin
01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
To be a true pro you will need a variable speed Makita or Hitachi ROTARY polisher. Dont be afraid to teach yourself paint correction which is 60 percent of being a CAPABLE detailer.

<sigh>

GS4_Fiend
01-13-2010, 09:44 PM
As a starter I recommend the PC7424 w/ 4" pads. I personally use Menzerna polishes (P0203S & PO85RD). After that you could put your favorite LSP. Do your research about Menzerna and Optimum products. You won`t regret it.

Don`t forget a good flashlight to check your work when polishing. Those high wattage halogen lights that stands on the ground, those produce too much heat. So I use a very strong LED flashlight to check my work, which works well for me.

sirmalloc
01-14-2010, 12:48 AM
As a starter I recommend the PC7424 w/ 4" pads. I personally use Menzerna polishes (P0203S & PO85RD). After that you could put your favorite LSP. Do your research about Menzerna and Optimum products. You won`t regret it.

Don`t forget a good flashlight to check your work when polishing. Those high wattage halogen lights that stands on the ground, those produce too much heat. So I use a very strong LED flashlight to check my work, which works well for me.

Actually already placed my order for the PC7424XP w/ 6.5" pads. I`ll probably find I need to go smaller for some parts of my car, luckily AutoGeek is located in FL so shipping is pretty much next-day so I`ll order if I need to.

GS4_Fiend
01-14-2010, 12:53 AM
If you are getting the PC, get 4 inch pads. It`s much effective. You will remove defects even more.