PDA

View Full Version : Polishing over Pinstripes?

tssdetailing
01-11-2010, 03:21 PM
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/117/l_7660d75883ef927053884fb4ce22d409.jpg

These are pinstripes applied over the clearcoat with "One-Shot striping enamel"

Can I run over them with a DA or will it get torn up?

Accumulator
01-11-2010, 03:28 PM
..These are pinstripes applied over the clearcoat with "One-Shot striping enamel"

Can I run over them with a DA or will it get torn up?

You won`t "tear them up" the way you might a tape pinstripe, but you will abrade them. I`d think twice about doing that to any significant degree.

That doesn`t make the job any easier, huh?

BobD
01-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I`d stay away from them if you can.

I had painted stripes on my Civic when I bought it and I removed them all using a PC and polish. I have a very tiny spot on my Mercury that I went through the pin stripe with a Cyclo. I`d do a test spot and see or not even touch them. The thing with pinstriping is that a lot of the old school guys, and some of the new school guys, thin with mineral oil. This USED to be fine back int he day but since One Shot and other companies had to change formulas to meet VOC and such the mineral spirits actually hurt the adhesion and One Shoot says not to do it. If it was striped using the proper methods you`ll have better luck for sure.

tssdetailing
01-11-2010, 10:38 PM
eF. Ok, well i`ll just have to tape the suckers then. Might bring a protege for this one LOL

Innovative Detailing
01-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I would stay away completely from the stripes with any type of machine, rotary or D/A.....pad, product or speed could reduce those stripes in a heartbeat. You would be better off just doing this area by hand after claying by using a pure polish and a premium LSP...JMHO.....

Becareful with taping the stripes as well, sometimes the adhesive on the blue tape will pull the one shot up.....

BobD
01-12-2010, 06:24 AM
eF. Ok, well i`ll just have to tape the suckers then. Might bring a protege for this one LOL

Careful taping them too. If the painter used mineral spirits to thin the paint it might just pull them off.

Of course these are all worst case scenarios. One Shot is an excellent pins triping paint and if done right will have an excellent bond.

tssdetailing
01-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Is there a weaker tape I can use?

chaotik
01-12-2010, 09:22 AM
If it was done right...they wont come off...but like said before...you will abrade the paint.

I do Peterbilts for the company I work for...guy that pinstripes them uses One Shot and has been doing it for like 30 years. I use a Pc with an orange pad and cleaner wax to no ill effects....I do try to pass over them rather quickly....but have had no problems.

b2matt
01-12-2010, 10:33 AM
I`d stay away from them if you can.

I had painted stripes on my Civic when I bought it and I removed them all using a PC and polish. I have a very tiny spot on my Mercury that I went through the pin stripe with a Cyclo. I`d do a test spot and see or not even touch them. The thing with pinstriping is that a lot of the old school guys, and some of the new school guys, thin with mineral oil. This USED to be fine back int he day but since One Shot and other companies had to change formulas to meet VOC and such the mineral spirits actually hurt the adhesion and One Shoot says not to do it. If it was striped using the proper methods you`ll have better luck for sure.

This exactly!:werd: I`ve had other detailers use machines on trucks I`ve striped on and they are still on there. But I`d still be very careful!

Accumulator
01-12-2010, 10:35 AM
It`b be too bad if VOC regs/etc. messed with the durability of One Shot...I`m thinking of all those decades-old pinstriping jobs that`re still around.

b2matt
01-12-2010, 10:46 AM
It`b be too bad if VOC regs/etc. messed with the durability of One Shot...I`m thinking of all those decades-old pinstriping jobs that`re still around.

This and what I hate the most is Mineral Spirits is A LOT cheaper than One Shot`s reducer:down

tssdetailing
01-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Just spoke with the customer. He said they couldn`t have been thinned b/c he did tape over them once and never pulled them up. This makes me feel a lot more secure-i would rather tape them and be safe then risk running over them and abrading the finish.

Thank you all so much for your input. I won`t be doing this until spring but I will certainly post up the results.