PDA

View Full Version : Drying

Bobby1021
01-10-2010, 09:36 PM
this might sound stupid but i have hard problems drying my tahoe. its black so i get alot of waterspots. what towel do yall use and tips please.

Street5927
01-10-2010, 10:39 PM
You can try a few things. Among the expensive side would be to invest in the CR-Spotless de-ionizer, which will leave your finish spotless when you wash. Another thing is the next time you detail it, make sure to clay it and polish out any hard water spots and put some good protection on it. If they are not etched, and strictly from washing, when you are done drying, go over it with a good MF towel and some QD.

craigdt
01-10-2010, 11:04 PM
a waffle weave microfiber drying towel

DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 36" x 24" | Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Microfiber-M13/Waffle-Weave-Drying-Towel-P100/36-x-24-S1/)

works like a charm

ABQDetailer
01-11-2010, 12:43 AM
My drying technique uses two towels. The smaller the better because I seem to get more control with smaller towels than the big waffle weave towels. I`m actually going to try smaller waffle weave towels soon.

Take two 16"x16" towels and drench one completely wet and have one completely dry. Wring out the wet one and use it as your primary drying towel. Wring it out as you go. This will leave smaller wet streaks and you hit that with your dry towel and it should pick up all of the leftovers.

Basically a wet towel picks up more water than a dry towel.

This isn`t "MY" technique I`m sure I picked it up from somebody else here on the forums. If you`re using ONR it`s the only way to dry IMHO.

Even better if you are using a spray wax. You can make your first drying pass with the wet towel then spray down some wax and buff it out with your dry towel. Kills two birds with one stone.

eyezack87
01-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Are you sheeting the water off your car first? That should lower the chance of more spots on your paint if you do that

Legacy
01-11-2010, 01:22 AM
My drying technique uses two towels. The smaller the better because I seem to get more control with smaller towels than the big waffle weave towels. I`m actually going to try smaller waffle weave towels soon.

Take two 16"x16" towels and drench one completely wet and have one completely dry. Wring out the wet one and use it as your primary drying towel. Wring it out as you go. This will leave smaller wet streaks and you hit that with your dry towel and it should pick up all of the leftovers.

Basically a wet towel picks up more water than a dry towel.

This isn`t "MY" technique I`m sure I picked it up from somebody else here on the forums. If you`re using ONR it`s the only way to dry IMHO.

Even better if you are using a spray wax. You can make your first drying pass with the wet towel then spray down some wax and buff it out with your dry towel. Kills two birds with one stone.The problem with using a spray wax while drying is that your waffle weave will start to push water rather than absorbing after awhile.

Accumulator
01-11-2010, 12:33 PM
The problem with using a spray wax while drying is that your waffle weave will start to push water rather than absorbing after awhile.

Wonder how different spray waxes are from "leaves-stuff-behind QDs" in this regard :think: I use FK425/Griot`s SpeedShine/etc. for this at every wash and I never have any problems. Well, other than the seemingly inevitable drop if effectiveness that seems to plague *all* WWMFs sooner or later (had the same problem before using the QDs).

this might sound stupid but i have hard problems drying my tahoe. its black so i get alot of waterspots. what towel do yall use and tips please.

I have a Carbon Metallic Yukon XLD, so I sympathize with you!

When I`m not using the CRS unit, I dry this way:

(Can`t sheet as my water pressure/spigots/etc. don`t work well for it..)

Blow off excess water with AirWand; Spritz sections with QD and dry with WWMFs- one for initial wipe, second in other hand for follow-up; dry jambs with 100% cotton towels damp with QD; blow out nooks and crannies with compressed air and blot up that (occasionally dirty) water with WWMF.

Having soft water helps a lot, the spotting isn`t hard to get off with a little QD. If your water is really hard or otherwise nasty I`d look into filters and a softener. The CRS is nice, but it`s kinda pricey.

EDIT: BTW, your Q isn`t stupid sounding at all. It can be hard to dry a big vehicle fast enough to avoid spotting.

citizen arcane
01-17-2010, 10:13 AM
I have this prob w/ my three black vehicles (none as large as yours) in the summer months. Even when washing under the shade of a carport the summer heat evaporates the rinse water before I have a chance to re-wet areas before the final rinse. My solution is using ONR (1 oz in a 1 gal. sprayer) to cover the panels that are washed. I dunno why - but the ONR doesn`t evaporate near as fast as plain water and allows me to finish my wash without spotting. I then blow to 70 % dry and use two towels to dry, ww first then plush - in a two handed motion.

DocEldridge
01-18-2010, 02:32 AM
The CR deionizer is worth the money. It`s really nice in the hot summers and you don`t have to be as quick to "beat the water" before it dries and leaves spots. There is the cost of having to replace the filter canisters occasionally though. SamsClub even carries them.

Sam`s Club - CR Spotless De-ionized Water System (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=374509)