PDA

View Full Version : What to use on headlights to resist dirt build-up

trueimage
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
The headlights of my GF`s Hyundai Santa Fe have 3M guard on them, and they seem to quickly build up a nice coating of dirt from road spray that severely affects visibility - it looked like the lights weren`t even on the other night and then I pulled into a gas station and cleaned them and it was like night and day - literally.

Any tips for something to clean / coat the lights with so the build-up takes longer etc?

imported_WhyteWizard
01-11-2010, 08:18 AM
My installer tells me the only thing he recommends is Plexus. I`ve got the film on the front of my car pretty much soaked in that stuff, I use it after every car wash but I live in SoCal. It works fine here. I`m looking forward to other answers.

Robert

trueimage
01-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Hrmm, where can I buy Plexus? The website only sells it by the case.

Setec Astronomy
01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
If you`re talking about that kind of road spray that comes up and dries almost instantly, nothing is going to make it take longer to build up. Is that what you are talking about? That`s why some cars come with headlight washers, akin to the windshield washers, which is what you use when that road spray dries on your windshield.

DM101
01-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Plexus can be found here Plexus is the most effective plastic polish available for cleaning, protecting,and polishing all kinds of plastic. plexus,plexus plastic (http://autogeek.net/plexplasclea.html)

trueimage
01-11-2010, 11:57 AM
If you`re talking about that kind of road spray that comes up and dries almost instantly, nothing is going to make it take longer to build up. Is that what you are talking about? That`s why some cars come with headlight washers, akin to the windshield washers, which is what you use when that road spray dries on your windshield.

That`s what I`m talking about - so basically have to pull into a gas station all the time, or wipe it down at home each night - or buy a new car with the washers? ;)

Setec Astronomy
01-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey, you live in Canada, ur supposed to know about this stuff in your DNA! What happens/what do you do with your windshield? It`s going to be the same thing.

Accumulator
01-11-2010, 01:13 PM
..some cars come with headlight washers, akin to the windshield washers...

Yuck...washerfluid all over the vehicle. I keep intending to get the ones on the Audis fitted with bypass switches but it always slips my mind (or perhaps I have a subconscious resistance to spending the money :o ).

Accumulator
01-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Any tips for something to clean / coat the lights with so the build-up takes longer etc?

What about just using some dirt-shedding LSP like, I dunno...FK1000P?