PDA

View Full Version : ONR and Zaino Questions

HLxDrummer
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Well I`ve had some requests for details in the freezing cold/snow so I decided to invest in some ONR. I did two of my friend`s cars by taking it to the coin-op (DIY style) and using high pressure soap/rinse but everything instantly froze to the car and my hands about fell off :clap: Brought them back and easily ruined a clay bar lol

Anyhow, as of now I am using Zaino as LSP. When I first do a customer`s car in better weather I use Dawn to get rid of all the previous LSP/etc. so the Zaino bonds well. However, I`m doing an ONR wash, then using ONR for clay lube, bla bla so I won`t really be able to strip off the previous stuff. Is this important? Even if I do a good IPA wipedown?

Will using ONR as clay lube/etc. affect Zaino`s durability? People have mentioned it has good shine/some protection which worries me. How about with IPA?

I`m not sure if I`ll be polishing them or not, but if I do polish (Meguiar`s UC/SwirlX) would it be better to just do another quick ONR wash then IPA, or just IPA?

Thanks guys!

BLK GTO
01-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Claying should remove any LSP that is on the car.

HLxDrummer
01-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Oh, really? I figured it would rub some of it off like washing/etc. does but I didn`t know it strips it.

Thanks!

So now I just need to know if ONR will affect bonding of Zaino.

Thomas Dekany
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM

I don`t think so.

wannafbody
01-08-2010, 08:55 PM
I`d use some Z6 prior to laying down some Zaino just to be sure.

Dan
01-08-2010, 09:26 PM
I don`t think so.

FROM TOL:

"In 1990, Tadao Kadate of Japan invented clay resin. It was the first product to safely, instantly and cheaply remove airborne contaminants from delicate automotive paint. It was an instant success and proclaimed a "miracle product". To this day, Detailing Clay is the only product that takes off stubborn over spray with a single, swipe of the hand.

Clay bars are used in the detailing, automotive reconditioning and auto body shop professions to remove paint over spray, tree sap and industrial fallout from the cars painted surfaces. It also works on glass, plastics and many metals.

Automotive clay is a pliable, petroleum resin product (polybutene), containing mild abrasives. These abrasives are extremely small and mixed in with a powdered synthetic detergent. To this mixture abrasives are also added, such as, silica sand, calcium carbonate, alumina, ceramics and also Green Carborundum.

Many claim that clay bars are not abrasive but that is incorrect. They are all abrasive to a degree, some add more abrasives than others and these are usually identified as being “hot” bars. I actually removed the clear from a cars lower panel once using a “hot” bar, so be cautious!"

So yeah, I`d say clay is abrasive and will remove your lsp.

MichaelSpoots
01-08-2010, 10:21 PM
For me, ONR doesn`t affect the bonding or curing of anything. It poses no issues in any way, to anything.

I have ONR`d, then immediately Zaino`d a client`s car. No issues.

HLxDrummer
01-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Great! Thanks guys.

Looks like all I need to do now is get a garden sprayer to hose off the wheel wells/wheels (if I need to use wheel cleaner) and I`ll be set. I love this forum!

craigdt
01-08-2010, 11:22 PM
I would say that clay would remove the LSP, while ONR will not.

Furd
01-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I use ONR and Zaino.

I have read that you should use Z-6 before applying Z2/Z-5. I don`t know if this is necessary, as I have never applied Zaino right after using ONR.

A fine clay like Sonus Green used gently should not remove Z-2/Z-5.

HLxDrummer
01-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I only use Z6 on cars I really want to look nice because I feel if I used it every time I used the sealant that it wouldn`t last as long as the sealant. However, maybe I`ll do it before the first coat from now on or something.

I`m also not worried about removing the Zaino, but I kind of wanted to remove the LSP that was previously on the car.