PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip Repair

PB2
01-08-2010, 02:32 PM
any one out there ever used the Premium Color Twin kit from detail king? i was thinking about getting it but not really sure about the results, any advice?

BobD
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I`d also consider this kit:

Applied Colors :: Paint Touch Up Systems and Kits (http://www.appliedcolors.com/index.html)

PB2
01-08-2010, 03:04 PM
i want to add this to the dealers i do have you had good results with it?

BobD
01-08-2010, 03:14 PM
The Applied Colors one I did when I used it.

602rwtq
01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
i want to add this to the dealers i do have you had good results with it?

I used to do paint chip repair for dealers and retail customers as an extra service after the detail was done.

If you sell it right, you make an extra $35 - $50 a car.

Some tips for selling it:

1. Don`t repair damage over 2 inches. That`s body shop work!

2. Light metallics (silver, gold, light green, light blue) are the toughest repairs. Let the customer know you can IMPROVE chips and scratches 30 - 65% depending on their depth and size from normal viewing distances, but up close the repair will be visible.

3. Blacks, dark colors, whites, and solid cherry reds look very good when touched up. You can offer a 60 - 90% improvement of chips and scratches.

In general, we always told the customer that minor paint damage (frontal chips, door edges, little scratches here and there) will be much less noticeable at a casual, normal glance, but if they really scrutinized the repair, it could be spotted. By underselling it like that, 95% of them were very happy with what we could do for $40 (versus a repaint from the body shop) when they saw the results.

Touch up didn`t take long, either. We just walked around the car 3 times, slowly, with a very fine tipped touchup brush and lightly dabbed what was obvious. Dealers loved the service because they didn`t have to call a separate vendor for touch up.

I`ve used the Applied Colors system. It works great.

Paint Bull`s system works great, too, but is slower.

I`ve heard good things about the Detail King system as well as RightLook`s.

It`s not necessarily the system you use, but how you sell it. Not every scratch buffs out, not every stain steams out, and not every touch up looks perfect. Just let the customer know what to realistically expect, and if you can match their expectations, you`ll make them happy.