PDA

View Full Version : Is the PC 7424 up to the task of color sanding?

92occ
01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Hello. I recently purchased a repainted hood for my chevy truck.. Anyway, Its the right color. Its a close match BUT its been repainted... The clear coat has a good amount of orange peel. Not really bad, But its not the best ive seen either.. Its a loose loose situation so If I can make it look better, that will be good. If it comes out the same/ worse.. Its just a junk hood anyway.

I would like to wet sand this hood and polish it. I already did some spots with 2,000 grit and I got good results.. I may need to step down to 1500..

Now.. On those spots I did sand, My Porter cable 7424 DID bring a shine back...

Now... If I sand the whole hood, what pad would you recomend? I plan to use an orange light cutting foam pad (it worked decent on those few spots, but its an old pad and I need to buy a new one so I will do that) and.. Maybe Poor boys 2.5 polish? (What I used before I ran out, I need to buy new detailing products as my stock is low) I also have poor boys SSR3 if need be.. I know that stuff is pretty agressive..

My ultimate question is, will a PC 7424 w/ foam pad and a med swirl remover polish the hood to a shine after I wet sand it?

I would like to use my 7424 polisher as I do not have a rotoary... If there is a better pad and polish that someone would recomend after wet sanding, Please let me know, Thanks. Again.. Im not looking for a perfect job.. IF I can smooth out the orange peel I will be happy.. The color is white so thats a bit more forgiving w/ light scratches anyway.

David Fermani
01-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Is the PC 7424 up to the task of color sanding?

Sure is:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/125074-porter-cable-xp-sanding-kevin-brown-method.html

Thomas Dekany
01-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I`ve seen it done but not with medium products. In the right hands with the right products the answer is yes. I`ve seen it.