PDA

View Full Version : How to Calculate Paint Correction %`s

David Fermani
01-02-2010, 09:11 PM
% of potential defects removed (including contaminants)

+

% of potential gloss created

XXX.XX

XXX.XX / 2

= %Total Correction

The Enforcer
01-02-2010, 09:53 PM
all of which is opinion, correct? wouldnt it be great if there actually was a machine you could scan the paint with, and it could give you a real, tangible number? something that you could run over the entire vehicle, and it could detect an unlevel paint surface that would indicate scratches and swirls, and then compare that reading with the actual size of the paint surface, and give you a REAL percentage! maybe one day...

Envious Eric
01-03-2010, 12:32 AM
^^^^^^^that would be awesome

but yeah, % numbers are all based on opinion!

I take it as the starting point to the end point, not how much is left in the paint (sometimes RIDS are too deep AND numerous) like that recent BMW I did...i put it at 90% as there was a bit left, but the starting point was disastrous!

David Fermani
01-03-2010, 06:32 AM
wouldnt it be great if there actually was a machine you could scan the paint with, and it could give you a real, tangible number? something that you could run over the entire vehicle, and it could detect an unlevel paint surface that would indicate scratches and swirls, and then compare that reading with the actual size of the paint surface, and give you a REAL percentage! maybe one day...

There is:

Gloss Meter, Spectrophotmeter, Thickness Gage, Color Meter, BYK-Gardner (http://www.glossmeters.com/)

They make meters that measure Orange Peel, Gloss and Haze.

The thing I find interesting is how some may consider a finish 80-90% corrrected and there`s still correctable defects(swirls) remaining and a finishing polish wasn`t used. Is that accurate?

Things to consider when measuring %`s are if the finish can improve by:

*Using a more agressive Product

*Using a more aggresive Pad

*Making an additional pass w/machine

*Using a final polish

imported_Detailing Technology
01-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Cool find.

$4 g`s all in to finally PROVE something about work/product isnt bad.

We are going to NEED that Grey Goose wipe down with the new generation of discussions that will spawn from this find.

Who will be the first to click n brag?

imported_Detailing Technology
01-03-2010, 09:02 AM
I also think this can start detailer ratings.

% corrected in career

% corrected by make, model, year

% corrected / hours

and so on....

Then there is the possibility of a new LSP rating.

Forget 55% carnauba, think of buying a product that has 94.4% gloss rating (or whatever)

The Enforcer
01-03-2010, 10:04 AM
There is:

Gloss Meter, Spectrophotmeter, Thickness Gage, Color Meter, BYK-Gardner (http://www.glossmeters.com/)

They make meters that measure Orange Peel, Gloss and Haze.

The thing I find interesting is how some may consider a finish 80-90% corrrected and there`s still correctable defects(swirls) remaining and a finishing polish wasn`t used. Is that accurate?

Things to consider when measuring %`s are if the finish can improve by:

*Using a more agressive Product

*Using a more aggresive Pad

*Making an additional pass w/machine

*Using a final polish

I dont think the % should be calculated on COREECTABLE defects. i think it should be calculated on how close to "brand new" or "factory fresh" the paint looks. i.e....100% would be a car that looks like it JSUT rolled out of the paint booth with zero defects, swirls, anything.