PDA

View Full Version : Need help with egg damage please.......

tonysandiego
01-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I just this morning found out that my metalic silver MB C230 was egged on New Years eve while at a party, ironically on the street of another Autopian.:mad: I did not go out of the house all day yesterday so I only found the mess this morning. Drivers side rear quarter panel completly covered with dried yoke. Fortunatly it was cold out and not subjected to any sun but still left a bunch of marks in the clear coat. I`ve cleaned it off really well with warm water and Dawn and then clay bared the area. Not sure what the next step should be short of wet sanding and polishing.

I did some searching here and did not find a lot of info that was very encouraging. Can anyone help?

David Fermani
01-02-2010, 11:58 AM
INot sure what the next step should be short of wet sanding and polishing.

Next step would be to find a good Body Shop because it`s nor repairable through detailing. The shells of the smashed egg cracked the paint during impact. Letting yoke dry on your paint won`t harm it.

Mikeyc
01-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Next step would be to find a good Body Shop because it`s nor repairable through detailing. The shells of the smashed egg cracked the paint during impact. Letting yoke dry on your paint won`t harm it.

:werd:

It`s not the egg that does the damage but rather the egg shell. The shards are quite sharp and make little cuts in the paint. It`s likely they`re too deep to polish out or wetsand.

Setec Astronomy
01-02-2010, 12:12 PM
IME on darker colors egg can cause some staining of the paint (not sure you would see it on silver or Ceramiclear). However, as stated, if you have shell damage there isn`t much to be done about it.

jw
01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Had the same thing happen on the Porsche. Had to take it to a bodyshop.

washnwaxr
01-02-2010, 05:54 PM
Try wetsanding and polishing, if that doesn`t work you`l need a repaint.

imported_detail1
01-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Post pics. I had this happen to my white 2007 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 2 years ago around Halloween time. The yolk dried over nite but its only the egg shells that act like razor blades on impact. I took my car to a body shop bc I was worried that the tiny chips would eventually spread. 2 years later and the chips never did spread. There are about 3 spots on my car and they are all towards the bottom so it was not worth a repaint.

the only solution is a repaint and be careful where u park next time. I never leave my car in the street overnight bc of that egging incident. Some people- probably young teenagers dont have any respect for other`s personal property but what comes around eventually goes around.

Setec Astronomy
01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
I took my car to a body shop bc I was worried that the tiny chips would eventually spread. 2 years later and the chips never did spread.

I had mine for maybe 10 years (or maybe more) and it never got any worse or rusted.

bogi094
01-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I had mine for maybe 10 years (or maybe more) and it never got any worse or rusted.

I think, as long as there is no metal exposed and you can see primer, just wax it often and there shouldn`t be rust. But you can always try a touch up.

My uncles car got egged at night when he was stopped at some lights. Too bad he couldnt teach those kids a nice lesson :P

pduck
01-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Aren`t there types of colored wax that would temporarily mask the damage?

cjbigcog
01-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Perhaps this would work for you:

Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems (http://www.drcolorchip.com/)

jaynick808
01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
idk how easy it would be to fill in the tiny marks of an eggshell. ive seen many an eggdamage, and hardly see large shrapnel marks that are fillable its always a hundred tiny little cuts with a circular imprint. i think the worst damage is when the egg hits the car with the top hardest part of its shell. either that or those ```````s need to join a baseball team to stay out of trouble.

JohnKleven
01-18-2010, 05:56 PM
idk how easy it would be to fill in the tiny marks of an eggshell. ive seen many an eggdamage, and hardly see large shrapnel marks that are fillable its always a hundred tiny little cuts with a circular imprint. i think the worst damage is when the egg hits the car with the top hardest part of its shell. either that or those ```````s need to join a baseball team to stay out of trouble.

It doesn`t permanently fix it, but if you have an airbrush guy repair it, it will be repaired to the point that your eye isn`t drawn to the damage.

John