PDA

View Full Version : FK 1000 on plastic trim?

imported_Detailing Technology
01-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Has anyone put FK1000 on black plastic exterior trim?

Im interested to know if it ruins or seals the part.

mrmatt
01-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Has anyone put FK1000 on black plastic exterior trim?

Im interested to know if it ruins or seals the part.

Good question! I too wondered what FK 1000 does to plastic trim and rubber seals.

Subscribed.

Cleaning Fool
01-02-2010, 09:04 AM
I`ve used it on black plastic door handles and rear view mirror housings and it worked great. Sealed it nicely.

loco
01-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I have heard that it stains plastic. My experience supports that. I accidentally left some FK1000P on black plastic trim around my side mirrors (I had sort of unintentionally slopped it on there while waxing the car). It left a white stain. However, even a month or so later, it was easily removed with Klasse AIO.

I have never purposely tried to put it on plastic trim to seal it. It might work if you put it on and wipe it right off, but I`m not inclined to try.

01-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Nice. I have an XC70 I want to do with it.

It`s a pre-Chinese Ford-Volvo...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_E3foPb7KQjQ/Sz9k4asl-jI/AAAAAAAABe8/7lp8Z3hZb1A/s800/DSC_2536.JPG

Accumulator
01-02-2010, 10:55 AM
I have it on the exterior black plastic trim of my Yukon XLD. You have to apply it a little carefully (thinly) to avoid staining; don`t put on so much (at any one time) that it builds up in the texture of the trim. That`s important for use on other such surfaces too, such as rough-textured aluminum.

Buffing off the dried/flashed residue can take a little more effort than one would like to put into it *on paint*, but I`ve never had to rub all *that* hard. You really do need to get *ALL* the residue off though, or that`ll lead to staining issues. Especially if you try to layer it (which I do believe I was able to do).

It *is* a little harder to use for this than KSG or Collinite 845. Not idiot-proof, but, well...Accumulator-proof (this time there *is* a difference :chuckle: ).

I always apply it over a base of KAIO, which might make a difference.

jdoria- If that Volvo were mine, I`d be going with KSG.. hands-down, no hesitation. All that black plastic just *screams* "use KSG on me" to this guy.

01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Accumulator -

I do not have KSG. I`ll grab some and try it.

Accumulator
01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Accumulator -

I do not have KSG. I`ll grab some and try it.

I hope you`re not one of the people who find it an insufferable PIA, but it sure works great for me.

On vehicles with a lot of black plastic trim, I`d go with the Klasse twins even when the look didn`t really wow me...just such a practical approach IMO. Yeah, it takes a while to get things sealed up with a few layers, but then you just wash for a good long time.

I do use the W-O-W-O method (well, pretty much so) on trim, and I fog the surface with my breath (the little bit of condensation seems to help). For refreshing, the Sonus Acrylic spritz stuff works well, but I usually just use FK425 after the wash.

01-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I`ve been using Opti-Seal and OCW. They are ok on trim, but dont last long.

1flyfisher
01-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Is 303 Protectant any good for black plastic trim?

Accumulator
01-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Is 303 Protectant any good for black plastic trim?

I`d rather just use it on rubber (which is all I do use it on). Dressings like that never last long for me on exterior pieces; between rain and washes they`re not the way I go unless I absolutely have to (those very rare occasions when these pieces don`t respond well to my LSP-based approaches).