PDA

View Full Version : I need need some ideas/advice on waxes/waxing etc

Pages : [1] 2 3

1flyfisher
01-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Hello, I just joined up here and I am hoping to get some help and ideas on waxing a vehicle.

I am ordering a 2010 GMC Savana AWD Cargo Van in Silver in the next week or so and I want to protect the paint. I will be driving this vehicle off road every weekend in rough conditions. I will be driving on wash board roads with the gray dust, and in dirt, mud, sand and snow(and salt crud) when I go flyfishing and skiing in the CA Sierra`s/Tahoe.

I have a few hurdles to overcome as I use a wheelchair and I will not be able to reach up high enough or do the roof.

First off I need a telescoping rod with a wax applicator on it that I can apply wax and buff off the wax. Anyone know of a product? Maybe they make a good one for RV`s or boats? I need to reach about a foot, foot and a half from the top of my hand to reach the top of the sides of the van. I have found a decent telescoping wash brush at WALMART that has microfiber wash strand thingies on it. You`ve seen them. Those dangling strands that are made of microfiber. They come on wash brushes at Walmart, Pepboys, Autozone etc. Now that is fine for washing up high and the telescoping feature is perfect but those microfiber strands do not seem good for applying wax(I could cut them off?). I figure they would be fine for removing the wax. All I`ll need is to buy two of them one for washing and one for removing waxing. $7 at WALMART. So I may be able to use them to APPLY wax with a microfiber bonnet. I was thinking of putting a microfiber bonnet over them. These right here Amazon.com: Rejuvenate Microfiber Bonnet Applicator: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZ4QGS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0008F69V6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SARZQ434HN5JZHWSQY8) These are microfiber as good as any microfiber, and I imagine they should work. I could use those telescoping wash poles from Walmart or just put these bonnets over a cheapo sponge mop. Maybe put a plastic bag over the sponge mop first and then these MF bonnets so the wax doesn`t soak into the sponge too much????? Will this work OK for applying KAIO or FK1-#1000P? I was thinking I could buff off the wax by wrapping a nice plush micro fiber towel around a mop or perhaps use this product. Carrand Microfiber MAX Pure Shine Car Duster, auto duster, microfiber duster (http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-duster.html)

ANY Thoughts, ideas, opinions welcome.

Second. I want to detail and wax twice or three times a year once right before winter to protect the paint from road grime and salts and then again in the spring with fresh water wash rinses in between. Maybe 3 times a year wax detailing. WHAT is a good wax that goes on easy and comes off easy. Most importantly I need a wax that LASTS long and protects. I was thinking KLASSE AIO and KSG or perhaps KAIO and FKI-1000P. I DO NOT care about perfect shine at all. All I want is PAINT PROTECTION. Is Nu Finish good? I used it a bit on my Jeep and thought it was OK but I never really thought if it was the BEST. I tried Zymol and that went on and off easy but didn`t seem to last more than 2-3 months. I want the best longest lasting protection as I only want to wax detail 2-3 times a year. What wax would you recommend for twice a year detail job to protect the paint. I used Zymol on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and that worked ok it was easy on and off but I don`t think it lasts that long and I want long lasting protection of at least 4 months, 6 months would be better. Right now I am think KAIO and either KSG or FK1-1000P.

Third, The ROOF. I can`t reach it. I was thinking about paying an 18 year old kid I know a few bucks for two hours of applying wax on/off to the roof. WHAT would a detail shop charge to do this? What would be a fair price for that amount of area? I figure I am better off doing it with a neighborhood kid. I flyfish/duck hunt with an 18 year old kid and he would do it for free but I would slip him a few bucks. Detail shop might want a lot of $$$ and do half as good a job with crappy wax. I do it with a friend I can buy the best wax and can supervise and see that it gets done right.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

tenorplayer23
01-01-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey, FF, good that you got your post up.

I`m the guy who had one about half the length of yours and it still won`t post. In your case, you were just approved by a moderator as an Autopian, so you can officially participate, right?

Didn`t read your whole post............but just thought I`d note that you were successful. As you can see, it`s not like I can`t get things up on the forum..............just not the last one I wrote.

See ya. :wavey

Legacy
01-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Congrats on your new van. Using a telescoping rod for washing will work, but it will be very difficult to apply and remove waxes. Why not have your 18 yr. old help you to do the top and high sides. You can hit the bottom half and make it a day. As far as an easy and long lasting wax, I would get Collinite 845.

1flyfisher
01-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks it will be here shortly. I am ordering in the next week or so. Just working out the best deal. Should be here by April.

As far as getting this kid to do the roof. I want to do most of the work myself as I enjoy it (2 or 3 times a year no more)and I can`t depend on others to do the sides. I will be lucky enough to have someone to do the roof. The kid is a flyfishing/hunting buddy and I don`t like asking for anything more than just the roof. I will of course pay, but he won`t likely accept money so if i can get some help with the roof I am happy. I can do the sides I believe with the telescoping pole with the bonnets and mf towel well enough I figure.

I hAve heard about the Collinite from reading these boards. Do you think it lasts longer than KSG or FK1-1000P? I understand it goes on easy but I have heard that FK1 goes on and off easy also. KSG not so easy.

Congrats on your new van. Using a telescoping rod for washing will work, but it will be very difficult to apply and remove waxes. Why not have your 18 yr. old help you to do the top and high sides. You can hit the bottom half and make it a day. As far as an easy and long lasting wax, I would get Collinite 845.

Cleaning Fool
01-02-2010, 06:11 AM
Given your situation, Klasse SG would not be my first choice, simply because it needs thin layers and it can be finicky to remove. There are wipe on walk away sealants that are very good. Ultima Paint Guard Plus and Optimum Optiseal are the two most popular. You simply spray your applicator and massage it into the paint, doing a 2 x 2 section at a time and thats it. No hard rubbing or buffing, something to consider.

steelwind101
01-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 Easy on easy off, 4+ Months durability.

Polycharged Liquid Souveran, 4 Star Sealant Polycharged are all good options as they are easy to apply and remove, they apply thinly esp. with the red CSS hand pads and they last a good long time too.

FK1000P is long lasting easy to use product thats worth considering as well!

1flyfisher
01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have figured out how I will do the sides, I am going to go with my original idea. I was in Target and they have nice telescopic mf wash poles and the mf bonnet over it will work just fine. They extend 48" and that will help whomever does the roof for me. It will make it easier to get all that area up there. I`ll use one micro fiber bonnet over the base for applying the wax and then pop it off and use a fresh one for removing the wax. Or just another mf wash mitt over it.

Oh yeah Klasse SG is out. I can not use KAIO as a base and then have to wait 24 hours to apply the KSG. That simply will not work as I have to have help with the roof and it will have to be done all in one shot.

So KAIO and FK1-1000P is looking like the best option. As far as all the products I have read about it seems like this combo will give the best protection and last the longest and is pretty easy to use. No one sees the roof of a van so all that is needed is protection not perfection.

For the sides I can go with any product but I still want long lasting protection as I only want to detail 3 times a year. I am sure that the KAIO and FK1-1000P will provide me with excellent shine. I am not neurotic or picky about maximum shine.

Thanks for the help....if anyone has any other ideas or know of any good telescopic wax applicators let me know...

Accumulator
01-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Oh yeah Klasse SG is out. I can not use KAIO as a base and then have to wait 24 hours to apply the KSG. That simply will not work as I have to have help with the roof and it will have to be done all in one shot.

So KAIO and FK1-1000P is looking like the best option...

NO need to wait between KAIO and anything, but yeah...the FK1000P oughta be much more user-friendly for you.

Though I still wonder if Collinite 845 might be easier still, and almost as good.

Durability- when you only apply one coat, IME Collinite 476S paste wax is the champ. But it`s not quite as user-friendly as FK1000P, and it`s not *nearly* as much so as 845.

Unfortunately, it seems there is always a trade-off between ease-of-use and durability.

If it turns out that you *do* need something more user-friendly than the KAIO/FK1000P combo, there are additional possibilities. But that`s sure a good combo to try.

jDizzle
01-02-2010, 04:47 PM
just a thought. but perhaps one of those window cleaning wands, with the microfiber bonnets , or an applicator some how attached to it would work well? just an idea. And you are deffinatley smart to steer clear of klasse SG in my opinion. Possibly the least fun product ive ever used on my paint. pain in the *&! to remove, and has to go on really thin, which i imagine would be hard to do with a wand type thing.

1flyfisher
01-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I thought I read on these threads that after applying KAIO you have to wait hours before you apply the SG?

Am I wrong about that? Can SG go right on immediately after AIO? No waiting?

NO need to wait between KAIO and anything, but yeah...the FK1000P oughta be much more user-friendly for you.

1flyfisher
01-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah I was checking them out today while in Target. The Stoner ones. I will definitely get one of those for the windows.

It could work also for waxing.....

You know I guess I could get one of those.....they are plastic, cut it into a3- 4" round circle and then GLUE a basic foam applicator pad to it......hmmmmmm.

Despite the fact that I have limited reach and need someone to do the roof A van has way to much area to deal with. That`s A LOT of real estate to wax. I gotta have easy on off product. I can spend 4-5 hours on a Saturday morning wax 2-3 times a year but that is my limit. KAIO and FK1-1000P so far gets the nod.

just a thought. but perhaps one of those window cleaning wands, with the microfiber bonnets , or an applicator some how attached to it would work well? just an idea. And you are deffinatley smart to steer clear of klasse SG in my opinion. Possibly the least fun product ive ever used on my paint. pain in the *&! to remove, and has to go on really thin, which i imagine would be hard to do with a wand type thing.

Accumulator
01-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I thought I read on these threads that after applying KAIO you have to wait hours before you apply the SG?

Am I wrong about that? Can SG go right on immediately after AIO? No waiting?

Yeah, that`s how I do it; I don`t wait for the KAIO to "cure" or anything like that.

IF (perhaps a big "if") that compromises anything the KAIO leaves behind it`s no biggie as IMO the KAIO doesn`t really leave enough of anything to be worth thinking about.

The wait period comes in when you want to layer KSG.

maxi
01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
FK1000P is long lasting easy to use product thats worth considering as well!

Fk1000P or Meguiers 16# which one is easy to use with out chalky residue ?

Geoff I tried PM you but ! steelwind101 has chosen not to receive private messages !

washnwaxr
01-02-2010, 05:51 PM
"NO need to wait between KAIO and anything, but yeah...the FK1000P oughta be much more user-friendly for you.

Though I still wonder if Collinite 845 might be easier still, and almost as good.

Durability- when you only apply one coat, IME Collinite 476S paste wax is the champ. But it`s not quite as user-friendly as FK1000P, and it`s not *nearly* as much so as 845.

Unfortunately, it seems there is always a trade-off between ease-of-use and durability.

If it turns out that you *do* need something more user-friendly than the KAIO/FK1000P combo, there are additional possibilities. But that`s sure a good combo to try."

+1

Harold97
01-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Do you have a low deck or access to a loading dock that you could park next to? That might allow you to access the upper parts of the sides by hand, so you would not be limited in your product selection.