PDA

View Full Version : Products For Interior Polish/Sealant

jbnery6465
12-31-2009, 05:44 PM
What products are safe to use with wood, real brushed alum, and carbon fiber interior panels and pieces?

I`ve heard and read people using KAIO for polishing (if needed). Some people would use Opti-Seal as a sealant.

Accumulator
01-01-2010, 11:40 AM
No experience with carbon fiber, but for wood I`ll sometimes *gently* polish with abrasive products if the scratches are truly bothering me. Gotta be careful though, the finish on interior wood can be thin/fragile. I don`t like to get more aggressive than the old 3M PI-III MG 05937, but I *have* used harsher stuff a few times.

KAIO works OK but doesn`t correct, or hide, defects the way some other products will. I`d be leery of the abrasives in ZAIO based on how they behave on exterior plastic. I would *not* use M205 for this for the same reason.

Most of the time I use something like Autoglym SRP or 1Z WPS to clean, conceal, and protect in one step.

Heh heh, on the Jag, I`m still using finishing up with my tiny jar of Zymol`s interior wood wax (relabeled for the old BHMA store, the Zymol name was "Detail") from `85, with a cap that cracked in `86, and it`s still working fine. It`s basically a cleaner wax, seems very high in carnauba as it feels gritty until it melts a little.

To be perfectly honest, I don`t get as worked up about the condition of my interior wood as I used to. Not that it gets *bad* or anything...but it`s far from perfect if you inspect it carefully in the right light :o What can you do :nixweiss there`s only so much clear on there and if you polish every year you`ll end up having to refinish it.

I don`t try to correct marring on interior aluminum. In my vehicles it`s clearcoated/clear anodized/something and I don`t want to compromise that finish. So I just try not to mar it in the first place (like with the wood) and occasionally clean it up/protect it with something like KAIO. But that`s a very occasional thing....I hardly ever bother with it.

Most of the time a quick spritz of something like Meguiar`s Interior QD is all I bother with, at least on the drivers.