PDA

View Full Version : I use a wheelchair and need an easy on/off wax

1flyfisher
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Hello, I just joined up here and I am hoping to get some help and ideas on waxing a vehicle.

I am ordering a 2010 GMC Savana AWD Cargo Van in Silver and I want to protect the paint. I will be driving this vehicle off road every weekend. I will be driving on wash board roads with the gray dust, and in dirt, mud, sand and snow when I go flyfishing and skiing in the CA Sierra`s.

I have a few hurdles to over come as I use a wheelchair and I will not be able to reach up high enough or do the roof.

First off I need a telescoping rod with a wax applicator on it that I can apply wax and buff off the wax. Anyone know of a product? Maybe they make a good one for RV`s? I need to reach about a foot, foot and a half from the top of my hand to reach the top of the sides of the van. I have found a decent telescoping wash brush at WALMART that has microfiber wash strand thingies on it. You`ve seen them. Those dangling strands that are made of microfiber. They come on wash brushes at Walmart, Pepboys, Autozone etc. Now that is fine for washing and the telescoping feature is perfect but those microfiber strands do not seem good for applying wax(I could cut them off?). I figure they would be fine for removing the wax. All I`ll need is to buy two of them one for washing and one for removing waxing. $7 at WALMART. So I may be able to use them to APPLY wax with a microfiber bonnet. I was thinking of putting a microfiber bonnet over them. These right here Amazon.com: Rejuvenate Microfiber Bonnet Applicator: Health & Personal Care (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZ4QGS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0008F69V6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SARZQ434HN5JZHWSQY8) These are microfiber as good as any microfiber, and I imagine they should work. I could use those telescoping wash poles from Walmart or just put these bonnets over a cheapo sponge mop. Maybe put a plastic bag over the sponge mop first and then these MF bonnets so the wax doesn`t soak into the sponge too much????? Will this work OK? Thoughts, ideas, opinions welcome.

Second. I want to detail and wax twice or three times a year once right before winter to protect the paint from road grime and salts and then again in the spring with fresh water wash rinses in between. WHAT is a good wax that goes on easy and comes off easy. Most importantly I need a wax that LASTS long and protects. I was thinking KLASSE AIO and KSG or perhaps KAIO and FKI-1000P. I DO NOT care about perfect shine at all. All I want is PAINT PROTECTION. Is Nu Finish good? I used it a bit on my Jeep and thought it was OK but I never really thought if it was the BEST. I want the best now. What wax would you recommend for twice a year detail job to protect the paint. I used Zymol on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and that worked ok it was easy on and off but I don`t thin k it lasts that long and I want long lasting protection of at least 4 months, 6 months would be better. And besides wax what is a good wash soap that doesn`t wash off the wax or sealant?

Third, The ROOF. I was thinking about paying a kid for two hours of applying wax on/off to the roof. WHAT would a detail shop charge to do this? What would be a fair price for that amount of area? I figure I am better off doing it with a neighborhood kid. I flyfish/duck hunt with an 18 year old kid and he would do it for free but I would slip him a few bucks. Detail shop might want a lot of $$$ and do half as good a job with crappy wax. I do it with a friend I can buy the best wax.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.