PDA

View Full Version : Roadway Salt Brine Solution

Pages : [1] 2 3

TNWIII
12-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Living in the northeast, Pennsylvania`s DOT has been spraying a brine solution onto the roads to prevent icing and snow build-up. This solution is difficult to remove from the car`s surface, since it bonds fairly well and the wash water almost makes it worse by "reactivating" the dried solution on the vehicle.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for washing this solution from the car?

Thank you in advance.

tom p.
12-30-2009, 08:48 AM
They do the same in our area. I haven`t had specific issues removing it, but I typically do a pre-soak with the foam gun. The surfaces are really pretty clean when I`m done.

brwill2005
12-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Same here in NOVA. In general, salt causes issues with vehicle cleaning. Usually it comes off though, even with ONR.

EOppie
12-30-2009, 11:23 AM
I am in CT and usually a simple ONR wash will take it off. What type of protection is already on the vehicle?

wn1998
12-30-2009, 11:38 AM
If my jeep is "white" with salt residue I like to take it to the spray and wash first and get the majority of it off. I don`t use the soap, I only use the "rinse" and get the body well, and the underside of my jeep. I then take it home and do a full 2 bucket DP no rinse wash in my garage and then hit it with some Lucas slick mist.

The bad part is, I don`t want to drive it after I am done because it looks so pretty!

RaskyR1
12-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Living in the northeast, Pennsylvania`s DOT has been spraying a brine solution onto the roads to prevent icing and snow build-up. This solution is difficult to remove from the car`s surface, since it bonds fairly well and the wash water almost makes it worse by "reactivating" the dried solution on the vehicle.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations for washing this solution from the car?

Thank you in advance.

I think it`s actually Magnesium Chloride. I haven`t had any real issues removing it though. I`ve seen a few spots that remained after washing and they came right off with a quick detailer.

nrengle
12-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I just did a DP rinseless on a truck that was covered in the stuff, and I had a few issues removing it. I actually remade my solution 3 times cause it was getting so nasty even with a 2 bucket wash.

Rob Tomlin
12-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Have I mentioned lately how much I like living in SoCal? ;)

gizzsdad
12-31-2009, 01:27 PM

Bite us please!

tssdetailing
12-31-2009, 02:02 PM

Bite us please!

mmhmmm :angry

imported_slicknickis3
12-31-2009, 02:21 PM
I think it`s actually Magnesium Chloride. I haven`t had any real issues removing it though. I`ve seen a few spots that remained after washing and they came right off with a quick detailer.

Brining is the term for the `wet` version of road salt, also known as `pre-wetting`...Depending on where you live, the brine will consist of either liquid calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, or liquid calcium magnesium acetate. All of which can sometimes be a pain in the *** to remove! Just make sure you empty and re-mix your wash/rinse buckets as needed.

Rob Tomlin
12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Bite us please!

:nana:

imported_ZimRandy
12-31-2009, 04:18 PM

Well we don`t have nearly as many fruits, nuts, or flakes and the chances of Minnesota sliding into the ocean is pretty slim.

Everything has a tradeoff.......:chuckle:

Showroom Shine
12-31-2009, 04:53 PM
They put that mess on the roads here in Ohio too. I hate it. At one time they were even using beet juice here. When I had a black seville,it always looked gray in the winter. The only thing I can do is go to a self serve wash,spray on their pre-soak.then rinse thoroughly. Preferabally with hot water.I think the whole idea sucks and it verges on criminal. I feel like someone is getting their pockets lined for this one! I try to get a couple good coats of sealant on before they start the mess! :angry :angry

Rob Tomlin
12-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Well we don`t have nearly as many fruits, nuts, or flakes and the chances of Minnesota sliding into the ocean is pretty slim.

Everything has a tradeoff.......:chuckle:

To be honest, I realize that there is far more truth in what you say than you know! :bolt