PDA

View Full Version : 845 and spotting

GoCubsGo
12-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Quick question for the Pros and/or Chemists out there.

I conducted a full detail/winter prep on my daily drive in October (Carbon Black BMW) and everything turned out great. I layed down 3 coats of Collinite 845 for my winter protection (Chicago winter = lots of salt). Over the holiday I made a couple trips in the snow and my dd was exposed to some salt and I wasn`t able to wash her for about 7 days. Finally I was able to wash with ONR (my usual wash method) and I noticed a ton of spotting all over the finish that didn`t come off even after the wash. I tried a couple QD`s and nothing. I then took the next step for water spotting and hit it with a 50/50 vinegar/distilled water solution. This did the trick, it was literally wipe on/wipe off and the water spotting was gone, but I had to basically apply the solution to every panel.

My question is: Have I jeopardized the Collinite 845 protection by applying the vinegar/distilled water solution to pretty much the entire car?

Any input would be appreciated :2thumbs:.

Dan
12-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I would put on another coat of 845 for sure. Even if the vinegar didn`t compromise it (which it probably did), whatever else caused the spotting probably did.

wfedwar
12-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Any time you put anything on a car, whether it is carwash, vinegar, or alcohol, you remove some of the LSP. Vinegar has the ability to remove more than plain water (there are vinegar-based glass cleaners that are decent at removing greasy fingerprints). You definitely reduced the amount of 845 left on the paint. I don`t think anyone can tell you exactly by how much. I`d apply another coat if at all possible.

GoCubsGo
12-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys. I`ll hit it with another coat of 845 just to be safe. The help is much appreciated ;).

Rob Tomlin
12-30-2009, 10:21 PM
I`m more curious about what caused the spotting?

jimmie jam
01-02-2010, 08:37 AM
vinegar is acid = remove protection. how long did you wait between coats? i have been using 845 for 36 years and have never applied more than two coats at least 12 hours apart with no spotting, ever. FWIW.

washnwaxr
01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Did the ONR freeze?

wannafbody
01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
In my using 845 I`ve noticed that salt does a number on it-the beading falls off and the salt tends to adhere to the wax.