PDA

View Full Version : Makita 9227C power cord problem any others?

Pages : [1] 2

Dairyman
12-29-2009, 09:32 PM
I bought a Makita 9227C about 3 months ago it has been great besides one problem the power cord...

every time that I use it the cord "wraps" around itself and tangles up so today was the final straw right at the base where the wire connects to the machine it ripped inside now I have to hold it down to get any power.

I am going to get it fixed or warrantied but was wondering if their are any upgrades to stop this from happening again?

Switched back to my dewalt 849 use it the same way (actually much harder on it) and never had a single problem

has anyone else experienced this the Makita was a good amount more than the dewalt

Dairyman
12-29-2009, 09:41 PM
I wonder if it is possible to put a dewalt 849 cord on the makita 9227C...?

David Fermani
12-29-2009, 09:48 PM
I suggest buying a 25 foot 16 guage extension cord and replacing your existing Makita cord with it. Wire it directly into the tool.

imported_WhyteWizard
12-29-2009, 09:53 PM
I suggest buying a 25 foot 16 guage extension cord and replacing your existing Makita cord with it. Wire it directly into the tool.

Yes! Look for one that`s very flexible. The problem with the Makita cord is that it breaks at the stress reducer - that rubber piece that comes off the back of the tool. It`s too stiff.

I wrap the cord with electrical tape at that junction but still, it`s just a matter of time till it goes. Small enough price to pay for a machine as light and quiet as the Makita. Still, if they keep that stuff up, Hitachi makes a really good polisher too, I may buy one of those and try changing out the grease in the head for synthetic to see if it will run quieter. That was the only problem I had with the two of those I`ve had.

Robert

Thomas Dekany
12-29-2009, 10:44 PM
I now have a flex rotary, but for year my makita had that same issue Had to replace the cord.

RaskyR1
12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Mine went bad a few weeks ago. I just hacked off a few inches and re-wired it. :xyxthumbs

imported_DJBAILEY
12-29-2009, 11:24 PM
I had to replace my cord after about 1.5 years of use. Had the tool repair shop replace it with a 18` cord that was for a Porter Cable drywall sander. The guy at the tool shop advised against using an extension cord as a replacement. The power cables have a lot of fine copper wires twisted together that allows the cable to be flexible. An extension cord will have thicker less flexible wires that will actually end up breaking sooner due to all the flexing the cord under goes.

Rickrack
01-01-2010, 12:53 PM
This is a very common thing with Makita`s and always seems to happen at the wrong time! I have it down to a science now and can have it completely rewired in less than 5 minutes. More annoying than anything, but at least it`s a quick & easy fix.

mini1
01-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Lots of electrical tape around the cord nearest the machine will help it last longer. I replace all the protective tape on my unit every couple months.

imported_WhyteWizard
01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I had to replace my cord after about 1.5 years of use. Had the tool repair shop replace it with a 18` cord that was for a Porter Cable drywall sander. The guy at the tool shop advised against using an extension cord as a replacement. The power cables have a lot of fine copper wires twisted together that allows the cable to be flexible. An extension cord will have thicker less flexible wires that will actually end up breaking sooner due to all the flexing the cord under goes.

I`m going to go with this answer. In fact, I`m going to order two of those cords and install them.

Thanks.

Robert

Driven Auto Detail
01-02-2010, 07:58 PM

I did just this and couldn`t be happier with it. I`d highly recommend it! :up

imported_BobbyG
01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
If this has been a real issue for so long why hasn`t Makita done something about it? :argue

imported_Jakerooni
01-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Best advice given... Did this to mine about 3 weeks after I bought it. And now 4 years later it`s still just as good as the day I did it.

vtec92civic
01-05-2010, 12:06 PM
what kind of extension cords are you folks using? I had this happen to me at the wrong time once and had it fixed. Slowly but surely it looks like the cord is getting funky again so i would like to be prepared with the right stuff for the repair if needed.

fergnation
01-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Like Rick, I have it down to a science. It almost has become kind of a pit stop for me. I will tell you though that on one of my polishers the cord has become kind of short due to the number of times I have had to cut it done. For some reason I prefer the shorter cord.