PDA

View Full Version : Snow + leather

jpboyle
12-29-2009, 08:49 AM
I`ve been searching all around the internet for an answer to this question. I found this site from one of the searches I made.

Yesterday morning there was about 2 inches of snow on the ground/cars. I went into my mothers car and got her snow scraper out to get the snow off my car before I had left for work. Well I was tired, it was dark out, and I threw the scraper on the back seat of my moms car after I finished using it. This morning I needed it again so when I went to get it I noticed that the leather had waves/ripples in the seat. (Or so I think it did it was again dark and I was tired) So I`m sitting at work feeling horrible about this I was wondering if there is anything I can do to get the waves/ripples out. The leather felt hard and I could have just been imagining the ripples since I had gloves on and was feeling around on the seat. If there is something wrong with the leather what can I do to flatten it back out. I read about a few people who had gotten their leather soaked and didnt put a towel on it and everyone said it should be fine. any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks

BobD
12-29-2009, 09:08 AM
I doubt anything you did created those ripples.

jpboyle
12-29-2009, 09:10 AM
That is what I`m hoping. But like I said I could be imagining it since it was at 5:30am and I was half asleep. I`ll check when I get home from work

wfedwar
12-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Could be that it got wet and needs to dry. I wouldn`t think its a big deal.

brwill2005
12-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I have seen leather get too wet and the coating wrinkle up a bit. After it completely dried, the leather smoothed back out. If it does not smooth back out, I doubt there is much you could do.

jpboyle
12-29-2009, 09:36 AM
I don`t think it was really all that much snow that got into the car. So We`ll see here in a few days if it dries up. Hopefully the weather gets a little warmer out so it can dry without the car being on.

Quality Leather
12-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I hope it isn`t the coating. Either way take a hair dryer to it and see what happens. A hair dryer won`t get hot enough to do any damage to the leather.

paco
12-29-2009, 02:01 PM
I`d say it depends on the condition of the leather etc.

If the leather had cracks in it etc, then there is a chance the snow melt might have caused some damage. If the leather was in good shape and protected, probably not a huge issue but any standing water on leather could lead to issues. Especially, if the snow melt frooze at some point and expanded.

Hopefully, it`s not a big issue and you can just clean it with a leather cleaner and recondition the entire seat and bring it back to normal.

Also, i`d be hesitant on blow drying it before cleaning it. There may be salt residue that was on the windshield or in the snow brush etc. and you could end up baking it into the finish. At the very least, i`d mix up a spray bottle with distilled water and zero 10:1 - 20:1 and clean the seat first to remove any crap that may have in the snow melt or brush.

jpboyle
12-30-2009, 06:10 AM
The seats condition was basically brand new. My mother bought it last year and there`s only 3000 miles on the car. I don`t even think anyone has sat in the back seat. It`s at most had light groceries on it.

jpboyle
12-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Problem solved. Like I said in one of my posts that I took a look at it in the dark. Well I checked today when I got home and realized that the ripples in the leather aren`t big at all and they are on both seats and the backs of the seats. It seems to be how the leather is. Thanks for all the help though guys.

wfedwar
12-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Good news.

paco
12-31-2009, 03:40 AM
Cool. Dodged one eh.

steelwind101
12-31-2009, 09:09 AM
I asume this car does not feature premium hide leather? You often find ripples or the the leather is not a tight fit when when belly leather is used as opposed to hide leather. Over time belly leather seats tend to seem "looser" and the leather can get a wave or ripple in it.

When you first get the car its a tight fit, however when you start to sit and use the car the belly leather stretches a little. With so few miles i suspect you dont spend much time in the seats? After a ride you might notice the ripples more or as the car gets more regular use it may not receed as it looses its ability go back.