PDA

View Full Version : What do you use of Carbon Fiber?

imported_agentf1
12-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Like the title says what do you use on CF? I am talking stuff like the ZR1 or CF hoods and wings etc... I think Chevy recommends a clear or white wax. I am pretty sure Zaino works well also but wanted to hear what all of you use.

What do you use for a LSP?

What do you use for polishing?

white gecko
12-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I`ve used Zaino on ZR1 and other car CF parts with good success. I found Menz SIP and 106FA work great on CF parts as well.

HowardPearson
12-27-2009, 05:54 PM
for most OEM applications CF work is covered in clear for an improved surface finish, so treat it like any other clear coated finish. Most true CF in racing applications is not cleared over and has a semi-gloss or satin finish.

focus2069
12-28-2009, 10:20 AM
what about CF with a gel coat instead of a clear coat?

I have heard of people using marine wax for this.....

BostonDuce
12-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Whatever you use, make sure it has some type of claimed UV protection.

The gel coat stuff tends to turn yellow from sun exposure. Porsche CF especially.

BD

Don`t forget the interior CF also.

efnfast
12-28-2009, 12:03 PM
As said above, if it`s been clearcoated with an automotive clear it`s just like the rest of the car.

if it hasn`t been clearcoated, it definately should be, otherwise it will more-than-likely yellow in time. I know some manufacturers say the resin they use is uv-resistant, but I don`t buy it.

Whatever you use, make sure it has some type of claimed UV protection.

The gel coat stuff tends to turn yellow from sun exposure. Porsche CF especially.

BD

Don`t forget the interior CF also.

ah, yes, the yellowed carrera GTs, I love those :chuckle: