PDA

View Full Version : Goggles and Glasses and Lenses oh my!

Durddy
12-25-2009, 04:48 PM
What do you all use on your ski/snowboard goggles to both remove minor scratches, and also to protect?

I am thinking of using PlastX with my finger tip in a clean microfiber. Any reason to not try this approach?

Would using something like Collinite 845 or Klasse SG on the goggles help prevent fogging if applied on the inside? Would it help snow roll off easier if applied on the outside? I am curious about this on sunglasses as well

Thanks! :xyxthumbs

BigAl3
12-25-2009, 07:32 PM
i use 106FA (it worked better than plastx IME) and a lake country 5.5" white pad with the PC and it removed scratches from dvd`s, cd`s, xbox games, etc (don`t know what your goggles are made of, i assume plastic). some of the cd`s and xbox games were so hammered/scratched, they wouldn`t play. but after using the formentioned, they worked again...

Street5927
12-25-2009, 08:34 PM
When I had my motorcycle, I used Plexus religiously on all my plastics and it worked well. I never had a problem with fogging, either.

imported_tim
12-26-2009, 07:24 AM
When I had my motorcycle, I used Plexus religiously on all my plastics and it worked well. I never had a problem with fogging, either.

I`ve used Plexus on the faceshield of my helmet and found that the fumes

from it irritate my eyes. If you`re gonna do something like this make sure you give the Plexus plenty of time to dissipate before putting the goggles on.

Durddy
12-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I`ve used Plexus on the faceshield of my helmet and found that the fumes

from it irritate my eyes. If you`re gonna do something like this make sure you give the Plexus plenty of time to dissipate before putting the goggles on.

That eye irritation has been one of my biggest concerns. Did you guys notice Plexus filling in some of the scratches you had? Wouldn`t a wax do something similar?

archebald23
01-03-2010, 05:17 PM
yes there are products out there that does thesame thing to your

auto part but less toxic

CKSpeed
01-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I have three sets of ski goggles, all of which are perfectly usable except for the scratches on the lens. I have a feeling the Plast-x may damage the coating that may be on the exterior of the lens, but my goggles are old and I will probably experiment anyway. Looks like there are a few products to try: Meguiar`s Plast-X, Duragloss #681 Plastic polish, and the Novus Polish system. I`m thinking of trying the Novus Polish system if I can find it locally for a decent price.

Durddy
01-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I have three sets of ski goggles, all of which are perfectly usable except for the scratches on the lens. I have a feeling the Plast-x may damage the coating that may be on the exterior of the lens, but my goggles are old and I will probably experiment anyway. Looks like there are a few products to try: Meguiar`s Plast-X, Duragloss #681 Plastic polish, and the Novus Polish system. I`m thinking of trying the Novus Polish system if I can find it locally for a decent price.

I`m looking forward to hearing how your experiments turn out! Good luck and hopefully you can actually give those older goggles a new life.

Lonnie
01-06-2010, 08:43 AM
If you are looking to buy the Novus Sytem locally, try a plastic supply dealer in your area. They usually sell clear polycarbonate (like Lexan) and have cleaners and polishes for that material.

A motorcycle dealer may also sell a product for plastic faceshields and goggles.

If you do try something, let us know how it turned out on your googles.

imported_tim
01-06-2010, 10:44 AM
If you are looking to buy the Novus Sytem locally, try a plastic supply dealer in your area. They usually sell clear polycarbonate (like Lexan) and have cleaners and polishes for that material.

A motorcycle dealer may also sell a product for plastic faceshields and goggles.

If you do try something, let us know how it turned out on your googles.

A Harley Davidson dealer that also sells Buell`s may be the answer.

The Buell`s have plastic bodywork and the dealer carries a nice selection of the Novus stuff for a fair price.