PDA

View Full Version : Interior Dressing

tkc
12-24-2009, 10:31 PM
What do some of you use to apply dressing to interior panels, dash, vinyl, etc...?

I use a wax aplicator pad, works very well for me while its still new, but after several uses it sucks! TIA!

pimpasaurus jr
12-24-2009, 10:41 PM
i use a microfiber applicator pad... works wells for me, cheap, and provides even coverage.

ABQDetailer
12-25-2009, 12:25 AM
I`ve been recently applying OPP with a detail HVLP spray gun. It uses a lot more product than normal application methods but I can`t imagine any other method getting more even coverage. Once applied you can let it dry for a more glossy look or buff it for a more matte look. Next detail I plan on experimenting with diluting it 3:1 or 2:1 and see how that goes.

Application for a average sized vehicle is pretty fast too. Easily less than five minutes.

mblgjr
12-25-2009, 03:30 AM
MF brick or typical round, yellow foam pad. Either works fine for me with Opt. Protectant.

Mark77
12-25-2009, 04:09 AM
I never apply dressing on the pedals, it can be slippery.. But a MF towel or like mentioned a MF pad works well.. Apply it to they towel first and wipe it on, otherwise you will have it everywhere where you don`t want it..

AeroCleanse
12-25-2009, 10:36 AM
If applying to the pedals I would use Cockpit Premium. For me, I use MF towels to apply.

tkc
12-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Thank everyone!

I never apply to the pedals, dont wanna have that "what if" on my shoulders..

The wax applicator pads do work well for me, but it seems like i go through them so fast.. they get all dirty and leave dirty dressing streaks on the dash and such...lol

Guess im gonna try the lil yellow foam ones and the MF...

Barry Theal
12-25-2009, 09:03 PM
I very rarely use an interior dressing. I think its a waste of time and money. Plus I like a nice clean feeling. I hate when I get in a car and its a dressed up interior My hands feel so gross. Just a waste. No offense to anyone here, but I think If you have to dress an interior you don`t know how to clean them properly.

Legacy
12-25-2009, 09:10 PM
[quote name=`ABQDetailer`]I`ve been recently applying OPP with a detail HVLP spray gun. It uses a lot more product than normal application methods but I can`t imagine any other method getting more even coverage. Once applied you can let it dry for a more glossy look or buff it for a more matte look. Next detail I plan on experimenting with diluting it 3:1 or 2:1 and see how that goes.

Application for a average sized vehicle is pretty fast too. Easily less than five minutes.[/QUO What is a HVLP spray gun?

AeroCleanse
12-25-2009, 09:41 PM
HVLP = High Volume Low Pressure

Mikeyc
12-26-2009, 08:27 AM
I very rarely use an interior dressing. I think its a waste of time and money. Plus I like a nice clean feeling. I hate when I get in a car and its a dressed up interior My hands feel so gross. Just a waste. No offense to anyone here, but I think If you have to dress an interior you don`t know how to clean them properly.

I don`t think anyone here dresses their interior because they can`t get it cleaned properly. I know I dress my interior because it protects the vinyl/rubber from UV rays. I`ve tried for many years to find a dressing that leaves the material looking undressed but that does add protection.

I would also add that I haven`t used a dressing in some time that left a greasy or nasty feeling on my interior. As long as the excess is buffed off the interior just feels clean.

Barry Theal
12-26-2009, 09:13 AM
MIkey I understand what your saying completly. I can honestly say in all the cars I own I have never used a UV protectent on any interior plastic. I never noticed a difference. Most of the Protectents or dressing that I have tried actually promote dust to stick to the dressed area. JMO for you if it works then do it.

AeroCleanse
12-26-2009, 10:07 AM
MIkey I understand what your saying completly. I can honestly say in all the cars I own I have never used a UV protectent on any interior plastic. I never noticed a difference. Most of the Protectents or dressing that I have tried actually promote dust to stick to the dressed area. JMO for you if it works then do it.

Sounds like your using the wrong dressing then.