View Full Version : Need some insight on layering wax

M3Li
12-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I need some help on the concept with layering waxes.

Right now I wax my DD with Zaino AIO and then put on Collinite 845IW right after. This lasts me somewhere around 6 months.

My question is do I always have to Zaino AIO before I put on the 845IW? If I prep the car and put on Zaino AIO first then do a layer of 845IW and then maintain it by doing 845IW say every 3 months, will that work?

The part I don`t quite understand is whether the wax wears off by getting thinner and thinner or does it lose the bonding with the paint and fall off that way. If it loses its bonding with the paint, then the base (Zaino AIO) would be the limiting factor in terms of duration. Else, if the latter were true, then I could layer and layer to keep up maintenance till I need to go through another AIO.

wfedwar
12-23-2009, 06:28 PM
The part I don`t quite understand is whether the wax wears off by getting thinner and thinner or does it lose the bonding with the paint and fall off that way.

You may get answers to this, but they probably won`t be based on actual fact. I`ve never seen a study on waxes or sealants that uses SEM/AFM/anything else that might allow the surface to be studied on a microscopic level.

Based on practical experience, you`ll probably be better off using AIO every ~6 months to knock down water spots and sortof "refresh" the surface.

M3Li
12-23-2009, 08:33 PM
You may get answers to this, but they probably won`t be based on actual fact. I`ve never seen a study on waxes or sealants that uses SEM/AFM/anything else that might allow the surface to be studied on a microscopic level.

Based on practical experience, you`ll probably be better off using AIO every ~6 months to knock down water spots and sortof "refresh" the surface.

Hmm, I figured there was probably no concrete evidence on this. I`ve been doing the whole process every 6 months. I guess I just got curious. Haha

mborner
12-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Good luck putting ZAIO over 845. ZAIO is sealant based and works fine under a wax but you may have issues with ZAIO bonding to 845. It won`t hurt anything but you`ll end up with a smeary mess of ZAIO. It`s best to strip the 845 first, or, just layer your 845.

imported_Amused
12-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Interesting read from DW: Wax and Sealant thicknesses (http://detailingworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130901)

[EDIT: Forgot to add its sister thread]: Thickness of wax layers? (http://detailingworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127943)

Scottwax
12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I wish the layering fad would die out. Don`t obsess about putting on x number of layers, it really doesn`t work like that. ZAIO then add 845 as often as you wish until you want/need to polish the car again.

Like Mike Phillips is fond of saying, find something you like and use it often. Keep it simple. :)

Thomas Dekany
12-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Good luck putting ZAIO over 845. ZAIO is sealant based and works fine under a wax but you may have issues with ZAIO bonding to 845. It won`t hurt anything but you`ll end up with a smeary mess of ZAIO. It`s best to strip the 845 first, or, just layer your 845.

MB - ZAIO WILL strip 845 or any other LSP for that matter. It is an All IN One product.

Candor
12-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I would love to be able to get 6 months out of a waxing. I go 3 weeks and my wax is gone :(

Thomas Dekany
12-24-2009, 01:40 AM
I would love to be able to get 6 months out of a waxing. I go 3 weeks and my wax is gone :(

Your process?

Either way, you can do zaino, or FK1 #1000. Thank me in 7 months. :)

wfedwar
12-24-2009, 07:57 AM
I wish the layering fad would die out.

I agree. .

M3Li
12-24-2009, 09:45 AM

My ZAIO seems to strip the 845 out completely fine.

I guess I will stick with my current process. If it ain`t broke, don`t change it right? HAHA

Thanks guys!

twisted007
12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I wish the layering fad would die out. Don`t obsess about putting on x number of layers, it really doesn`t work like that. ZAIO then add 845 as often as you wish until you want/need to polish the car again.

Like Mike Phillips is fond of saying, find something you like and use it often. Keep it simple. :)

I have to agree with scott on this one even though i guilty of layering my zymol lol.

Accumulator
12-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Unless you`re spit-shining, I simply wouldn`t bother trying to layer waxes, and I`m the guy who proved to himself that Collinite *can* layer...or at least that my attempts at layering made it last longer than just applying it once.

BUT...845 isn`t so much a "wax" as a hybrid product that basically behaves like a sealant. Still, I`d just put two-three layers (OK, "applications" ;) ) on and then redo it when something you value (beading, slickness, whatever) changes.

No, you don`t need to AIO/polish/etc. every time you refresh the LSP, not with 845, not with most anything. I do think you oughta consider a *VERY* gentle claying with something like Sonus green, but even that`s optional IMO.

I refresh my LSPs all the time without any special prep...just a good wash and some Sonus green if I think it`s necessary. No problems at all. Gee, maybe that`s some more of my Autopian Heresy, but it works fine for me.

And yeah, with it`s cleaners, and *especially* with it`s abrasives, you can bet that ZAIO will cut through an existing LSP. Well, it might struggle a bit with something that`s really thick and healthy, but in that case I`d say you`re using the ZAIO unnecessarily anyhow.

Rob Tomlin
12-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I wish the layering fad would die out.

I agree, but I would add that it seems to me that the layering fad *has* died down compared to what it used to be.

I mean I don`t see nearly as many posts as I used to about guys having 10-14 layers of a sealant on their car........topped by 4-6 layers of a Carnauba!!