PDA

View Full Version : Removing scratches from Iphone Chrome Bezel

Pages : [1] 2

Nopstnz8
12-21-2009, 02:34 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you are familiar with the chrome bezel on the iphone 3GS? Is it really chrome? Can I use a polish like Mother`s Mag and Aluminum? I just don`t want to remove the protective finish if there is one. Would that be the best method, or is there a better way that will fully remove them? I think they are more like swirls than scratches though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

OCKlasse
12-21-2009, 02:54 AM
I would just use something like DWG. I would guess it`s plated plastic.

Nopstnz8
12-21-2009, 03:06 AM
Yeah that why I`m not certain. Even though it`s called a chrome bezel, us Autopians obviously know that it doesn`t necessarily mean it is.

bogi094
12-21-2009, 09:12 AM
It IS metal, from my first iPhone experience I cracked the screen and when the guy was doing the repair, the bezel was very stiff and I believe that it could be aluminum. I would like to know how to repair scratches as well, will sanding it 2000grit then using a metal polish work?

Volvonaut
12-21-2009, 09:49 AM
What generation are you saying for sure is metal? Obviously the first gen had a full metal back and that didn`t stick around. 3GS seems plasticky on the bezel.

Nopstnz8
12-21-2009, 02:07 PM
It`s a 3GS, and I would like to know as welll as Bogi094 if wet sanding with 2000 grit and then polishing with a metal or aluminum polish will work? Thanks.

Pats300zx
12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
What about something like Megs Plastix???

Nopstnz8
12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah I was thinking of that as well. That wouldn`t have any negative effects if the bezel is actually metal since a plastic polish would just be of lesser strength, right?

jDizzle
12-21-2009, 03:59 PM
i ve never done anything with chrome aside from cleaning and polishing it. never sanded. but since when i wetsand with 2000 grit sand paper and have to use a metal polish vigorously several times, I would say 2000 is too low. chrome is alot harder than aluminum, so id imagine you should go as high as possible, if its even possible to shine chrome up after its wetsanded. i have no idea, hopefully one of the pros will chime in.

E's Exteriors
12-21-2009, 04:34 PM
It`s more than likely chrome plated plastic like the stuff that comes on cars grills. I wouldn`t use anything to abrasive on it like a metal polish. I would use something like menzerna power finish or something like that.

bogi094
12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
I found a site and there claims to be a person keeping the chrome look and buffing out the scraches with QUIXX chrome bezel scratches? - iPhone Forums (http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/general-discussion/chrome-bezel-scratches-24610.html)

Its a compound followed by a finishing polish. I would try any finishing polish you have available and see if that works, if not use a compound followed by the polish.

DETAILKING
12-21-2009, 07:28 PM
I would be careful with abrasives. I use Z6 on it to keep it shiny (but that won`t remove scratches). Easy fix..buy a case! :)

Nopstnz8
12-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Well I didn`t want a case because they are too bulky, and still scratch if you take it out when dust gets inside. I got an invisible shield for my Iphone and Ipod touch to remedy this since they are supposed to be scratch proof. On my Iphone, the dumb *** who installed the shield decided to not install the strips on the top and bottom of the chrome bezel, but did on the sides. Obviously, this is the only lightly scratched area on the phone. On my Ipod touch I got the shield as well, but you can see light swirls on the back of it. So much for being scratch resistant! :furious: Anyways, what could I use on this as well to remove the swirls? On my Ipod, it`s a clear plastic, so obviously a plastic polish, but this is supposed to be marine strength, so I would I even make a dent in it by hand?

8Banger
12-25-2009, 11:40 AM
i have an ipod video with the chrome backing. it used my rotary with mother`s mag and aluminum polish on it. it bled black and took a ton of swirls out. it might not be the same, but considering it`s the same manufacturer it probably is.

Lou K
12-26-2009, 09:14 AM
It IS metal, from my first iPhone experience I cracked the screen and when the guy was doing the repair, the bezel was very stiff and I believe that it could be aluminum. I would like to know how to repair scratches as well, will sanding it 2000grit then using a metal polish work?

Highly unlikely that it is aluminum, since chrome will not bond to it.