PDA

View Full Version : Polishing steps on 3M

HRBB
12-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Hi all, I`m a newbie here from HK.

Last week when I took my car to a "pro" detailing shop, there left quite a number of swirl after the job.

I asked the man on what they`re using to remove the swirl, and he showed me that he used 3M "Ultra-finesse II Glaze", then use 3M 3000 compound.

Is it a correct step to correct swirl? Cos from what I know, it is normally use compounding before using glaze?

The result is just so bad...:angry so I need to know more before I can go complaining on their job

imported_WhyteWizard
12-20-2009, 09:26 AM
All you really need to know is, they did an inadequate job. THEY on the other hand need to know, first, what a good job is and, two, how to fix yours.

Whoever sells them their 3M products should be able to tell them how to make that stuff work.

On the other hand, if you want to provide an alternative, contact some of the people on this board and ask for product and technique suggestions.

Here`s how I remove swirls (http://autobodystore.com/swirl_removal.shtml)from that kind of job.

Robert

Street5927
12-20-2009, 09:55 AM
They should have reversed the process. The 3000 compound will remove 1200 grit scratches and the Finess-it will remove 1500 grit or finer scratches, so naturally, you are reducing the "Fineness" of the scratches. I think that they still should have went one step further and finished with 3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze. They have one formulated for Light colored cars, and they have one formulated for Dark colored cars. I use this product on occassion, with very finicky finishes, and it finishes down swirl free, ready for sealant and/or wax. It is actually a great product for those finicky finishes.

So, to answer your question, you are correct in saying that they should have used the compound and follow it with the Finesse-it Glaze.

HRBB
12-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your reply...one more thing is, I`ve taken a ZPC for them to try before the job, and they told me that it didn`t work to remove the swirls...they only trusted what they`re using, but what made me doubted is that ZPC seems to have some good review here, maybe I have to go back and ask them to redone the thing by ZPC?:furious:

How`s that compare when ZPC to 3Ms?

Street5927
12-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks for your reply...one more thing is, I`ve taken a ZPC for them to try before the job, and they told me that it didn`t work to remove the swirls...they only trusted what they`re using, but what made me doubted is that ZPC seems to have some good review here, maybe I have to go back and ask them to redone the thing by ZPC?:furious:

How`s that compare when ZPC to 3Ms?

I can`t help you with the comparison, however, I will tell you that 3M does make some really good products, provided you know in what sequence to use them as well as technique. So, if they want to use only 3M, that`s fine, but make sure they know what they are doing....and by the sounds of things, they don`t. Many things, however, can contribute to swirls such as technique, dirty pads, etc.

David Fermani
12-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Here`s how 3M promotes their Perfect-It system:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/103709-3m-perfect-3000-training-class-pictures.html

This is prior to their latest updated compound/polish names.