PDA

View Full Version : Correcting poor touch up areas?

Cholleman
12-18-2009, 08:04 AM
A neighbor of mine has an 04 Nissan Murano that has a few scratches on the bumper cover. He`s not that knowledgeable about cars and thought the bumper covers were metal so he dabbed a bit of primer on the scratches in an attempt to prevent rust :think: He went a little over board with the primer and got some on the surrounding areas that are still painted. Being unsatisfied with his work, he asked me if I could make it look better.

What`s the best way to remove the primer from the surrounding areas so that when I apply the proper touch up paint to the scratches, they`ll be as minimized as possible? I was thinking a light wetsand with 3000 in the areas, followed up with some polishing and then the touchup.

Thoughts?

Setec Astronomy
12-18-2009, 08:26 AM
How about some solvent? Mineral spirits may do it, laquer thinner definitely will.

WARNING: Although a quick application of laquer thinner shouldn`t harm properly applied modern auto paint, who knows what has been done to this car before, so test in a VERY small spot.

Accumulator
12-18-2009, 10:53 AM
I too kinda prefer the solvent approach. I usually use Langka`s Blob Eliminator for jobs like this.

Dan
12-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I too kinda prefer the solvent approach. I usually use Langka`s Blob Eliminator for jobs like this.

Agreed. Langka will even take off very old touchup paint for re-dos.

Cholleman
12-19-2009, 09:25 AM
thanks guys. i`ll try some solvent first and maybe pick up the lanka kit if the solvent doesn`t cut it.