PDA

View Full Version : Winter Salt and heated Garage

Yuri2002
12-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi, I finally have a heated garage this winter. I keep the temperature at around 50-55F. If I have salt spray from daily winter driving on the road, will the salt react/corrode my car in the heated garage? I guess I don`t have a good understanding how salt destroy a car paint in the winter. Please educate me. Thank you!!

salty
12-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Yes salt (might be calcium chloride) water is more corrosive at higher temps.

The paint should be OK, especially with a good wax on it. Exposed metal is the real problem.

Mark77
12-16-2009, 11:32 PM
That is right. Cars usually start to rust in places you don`t see, when you see it on the paint, it`s usually pretty bad underneath like inside doors and the undercarriage..

This is one reason I don`t think using ONR (not wash the wheel wells, undercarriage etc)is a good idea in the winter.. The car might look great, but have lots of salt and dirt in places you don`t see..

TLMitchell
12-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi, I finally have a heated garage this winter. I keep the temperature at around 50-55F. If I have salt spray from daily winter driving on the road, will the salt react/corrode my car in the heated garage? I guess I don`t have a good understanding how salt destroy a car paint in the winter. Please educate me. Thank you!!

If the OP is correct, I wouldn`t worry about increased corrossion due to a warmer environment. That may be the downside but the UPside is you have a heated garage and you can wash the vehicle more often than the frozen-car rabble.

IMO, heating the garage when you`re not out there is a waste of money. My lowest thermostat setting is 40 degrees F, that`s where it stays. Warm enough to melt the crud and send it down the drain and prevent getting into a frigid car. I only heat it up when I wash the car.

TL

Mark77
12-17-2009, 10:59 PM
The problem with a car getting cold and warm all the time is condensation that builds up everywhere when you drive it inside from the cold air outside.

Condensation=water=rust. Salt and dirt won`t make it any better.