PDA

View Full Version : how to clean microfiber towels

imported_tuffluck
12-15-2009, 04:12 PM
i have some detailing towels that i have had a while. they really haven`t gotten a lot of use, but you know there is the occasional wipe where you accidentally go over a dirty area and get the towel dirty. even after a regular wash several of my detailing towels have dark stains of dirt. is there a way to clean them that is better, or is the stain just a stain and nothing to worry about scratching my paint?

also another annoyance of microfiber towels is getting little pieces of dirt/wood stuck in the towel. these towels are practically throw-aways since those little things stuck in there could scratch the paint. is there anycway to wash the towels in order to loosen those pieces of dirt/wood/etc. and get them out? i`ve thought about just bleaching all my colored towels to get them looking clean, because they are still in pretty good shape!

any advice welcome!

gav'spurplez
12-15-2009, 04:15 PM
i purchased some MF cleaner / detergent from autogeek

DM101
12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Try using Tide. You can prewash by hand using Dawn Orginal. No bleach !!!!

GoCubsGo
12-16-2009, 01:30 PM
I wash with Woolite (hot wash/cold rinse). NO fabric softener. 2 rinse cycles (add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of distilled vinegar during 2nd rinse cycle).

Dry in dryer with NO dryer sheets.

I also inspect each towel for any debris before folding and storing them.

vtec92civic
12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
heck i pre soak all my good towels in laundry soap, wash them and hang dry. I never use a dryer to dry my good towels.

I don`t even use a dryer to dry my good clothes either LoL. The heat in the dryer just destroys everything.

Volvonaut
12-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I prefer to let microfiber hang dry because I thought the dryer might add or trade fizz to them. I take it this hasn`t been the case for you guys.

Rob Tomlin
12-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Liquid soap and air dry is what I do.

imported_Olbear1962
12-16-2009, 09:47 PM
i purchased some MF cleaner / detergent from autogeek

An excellent product, use it all the time

jb1
12-16-2009, 09:57 PM
I use Costco brand Free & Clear Ultra liquid detergent. The first cycle gets an extra rinse. The second cycle is water only with an extra rinse. Dry them in the dryer on delicate setting with no fabric sheets. (I use the Dryer Magic Fluff Balls instead)

BigAl3
12-16-2009, 10:30 PM
there are many threads on this topic. in anycase, i use liquid detergent (don`t need much, they are very concentrated these days) and on the final rinse i add vinegar and do an additonal rinse cycle. then into the dryer on the lowest heat setting with no fabric softener/dryer sheet...

D Tailor
12-17-2009, 06:10 AM
I use arm and hammer detergent.

wash using soak, catalyst, and 2nd rinse

2nd rinse with MicroRestore

Dry on Low Heat

Come out Perfect

Accumulator
12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I prefer to let microfiber hang dry because I thought the dryer might add or trade fizz to them. I take it this hasn`t been the case for you guys.

I dry my MFs on "medium" in one dryer and "low" in the other, never had a single problem from it. IME, MF isn`t all that delicate and doesn`t require extremely gentle measures.

i have some detailing towels that i have had a while. they really haven`t gotten a lot of use, but you know there is the occasional wipe where you accidentally go over a dirty area and get the towel dirty. even after a regular wash several of my detailing towels have dark stains of dirt. is there a way to clean them that is better, or is the stain just a stain and nothing to worry about scratching my paint?

The stains seldom worry me all that much, but I guess it`s risky to generalize as it`s what`s making up the stain that`s important. I try to minimize this whole issue by pretreating stained spots with MF detergent before the wash; it`s almost always possible to get the stain out before the regular wash cycle begins.

another annoyance of microfiber towels is getting little pieces of dirt/wood stuck in the towel. these towels are practically throw-aways since those little things stuck in there could scratch the paint. is there anycway to wash the towels in order to loosen those pieces of dirt/wood/etc. and get them out?

Agitator style washers seem to work better for this than front loaders. But I`d still inspect the towels before putting them away (better yet, before laundering, get the big stuff out first) and pick debris out by hand.