PDA

View Full Version : Can a porter cable UDM do as well as my body shop?

sunsetstroker
12-13-2009, 05:47 PM
My 2005 Corvette is in the shop right now getting some minor work done. I have some paint flaws like swirls and holograms from the previous owner. It looks great but I can see the flaws in the sunlight at an angle.

I just bought a porter cable UDM and all the HD car care products but the guy at my bodyshop says it wont work to get out all the flaws. He said the UDM is better for applying waxes.

This guy is great and they work on high end cars so I assume he knows what hes talking about right? He said he would polish/buff the entire car for an extra $100. What do you guys think?

Flashtime
12-13-2009, 06:16 PM
If you`re having something painted, ask for 3 coats of clear.

Do not have the entire car polished there. Spend more time here and do it yourself.

Or, hire a real pro (many here) and have it done. Then, you can maintain it. And

learn by watching. If he`s an enthusiast, he may explain the process and why

things need to be done a certain way. And the time it takes.

Street5927
12-13-2009, 06:20 PM
I agree that unless the guy does a great job, then you can achieve excellent results doing it yourself. You can remove swirls and holograms with the UDM.

sunsetstroker
12-13-2009, 06:23 PM
If you`re having something painted, ask for 3 coats of clear.

Do not have the entire car polished there. Spend more time here and do it yourself.

Or, hire a real pro (many here) and have it done. Then, you can maintain it. And

learn by watching.

They are basically taking care of all the rock chips on the front of the car, repainting the whole hood, nose and blending the fenders to match.

After that paint work it should dry for a few weeks before polishing anyhow right?

So can I get pro results using all these products and polisher I just paid $400 for?

I assume 3 coats of clear will just protect the paint better right?

Thanks man - Ive been lurking for a few weeks and read some of your posts and seen some of your work. Good job.

Legacy
12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
My 2005 Corvette is in the shop right now getting some minor work done. I have some paint flaws like swirls and holograms from the previous owner. It looks great but I can see the flaws in the sunlight at an angle.

I just bought a porter cable UDM and all the HD car care products but the guy at my bodyshop says it wont work to get out all the flaws. He said the UDM is better for applying waxes.

This guy is great and they work on high end cars so I assume he knows what hes talking about right? He said he would polish/buff the entire car for an extra $100. What do you guys think?If this guy does high end cars I would spend the 100 bucks and let him buff it out. You can maintain it from there with your udm and some 5.5" and 4" pads. Vette`s have hard clear and you can get them out with a UDM, but it would be so much easier and faster with a rotary. Tell him you are going to inspect the car in the sun and don`t want to see any swrils or marring. Ask him to do an IPA wipe down after polishing and you will take care of the waxing or sealing. The reason for this is so that he doesn`t use a glaze to fill. I think it would be worth a 100 bucks to get a pro to buff it out.

sunsetstroker
12-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Yes thats what he said, he uses a rotary and some product with the name scratch in it?

Legacy
12-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Yes thats what he said, he uses a rotary and some product with the name scratch in it?

Probably Scratch X...again tel him you want an alcohol wipe down afer polishing to inspect in full sun. Go home do a good wash and wax or seal away.

sunsetstroker
12-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Probably Scratch X...again tel him you want an alcohol wipe down afer polishing to inspect in full sun. Go home do a good wash and wax or seal away.

Like the junk I can buy at a parts store? I tried it once and didnt like it much. I figured he would have proffesional products, not Meguires.

Legacy
12-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Like the junk I can buy at a parts store? I tried it once and didnt like it much. I figured he would have proffesional products, not Meguires.

Nothing wrong with Meg`s products. It`s the end results that count.

Legacy
12-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Btw if he gets all the swrils and marring out.. you can always refine the finish with your UDM and some Menzerna 85rd or believe it or not Meg`s 205.

HowardPearson
12-13-2009, 07:23 PM
If you just spent $400 on equipment and product, why dont you give it a shot at trying to do the correction yourself and if things dont work out the way you want, you can always take it back to you painter and have him finish it out.

sunsetstroker
12-13-2009, 07:29 PM
If you just spent $400 on equipment and product, why dont you give it a shot at trying to do the correction yourself and if things dont work out the way you want, you can always take it back to you painter and have him finish it out.

Yeah thats a good idea. Im just not sure if he will do it for $100 after I take the car though.

I bought the HD products pads and the UNO, I hope it works.

Flashtime
12-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Two coats of clear is the minimum/standard for most shops. Three coats, when

any sanding and polishing is involved. Also ask him to catalyze the base coat;

basically, he`ll add a bit of the clear coat hardener in the base which helps (a lot)

to fuse both together (clear and basecoat). Better chip resistance. He`ll know...

Curious, what are you paying for this job?

After that paint work it should dry for a few weeks before polishing anyhow right?

It really depends on the clear itself. Generally, for "production" clears, which tend

to cure hard, is best polished within a few days. He should be familiar with his

materials and can give you more insight.

BobD
12-14-2009, 09:33 AM

This guy is great and they work on high end cars so I assume he knows what hes talking about right? He said he would polish/buff the entire car for an extra $100. What do you guys think?

I`d be willing to bet you could do a better job by hand than most body shops do with a machine. LOL

Setec Astronomy
12-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I thought everyone here was pretty much in agreement, that there are few paint/body shops that can finish out to an "Autopian" standard, regardless of what they think, say, or the level of cars they work on. Could easily be the usual $100 hack job, I would do it myself or bring it somewhere else.