PDA

View Full Version : Collinite vs Meguiar`s #16

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rob Tomlin
12-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Even though I have a stupid amount of LSP`s, the vast majority of them are sealants (I do still have some Trade Secret which is the only LSP I have that has Carnauba in it), so I think I am going to order a LSP with Carnauba in it....just for fun.

I think I have narrowed it down to Collinite 915 or Mequiar`s #16 (before the supply dries up completely).

I`m looking for opinions regarding how these two compare to each other, pros and cons etc.

I did use #16 in the 80`s, but it was just too long ago to accurately remember how it worked for me.

imported_Amused
12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
I personally prefer 476s to 915. I think you`d be hard pressed to see a significant difference in the finish and durability of both is excellent...I believe 476s lasts slightly longer IMO.

As for comparing them to #16, I find #16 to be easier to apply. The wax literally melts on the applicator and spreads like warm butter. The Collinites are firmer waxes and aren`t as smooth IMO. Removal is also easier with #16, less residue IME when compared to the Collinites. They both look warm and offer excellent durability, but the ease of use of #16 ranks it above the Collinites for me.

Partially Deaf
12-11-2009, 12:24 PM
I don`t think the supply of Meguiars 16 will ever dry up. I read somewhere else they still make it for sale in other countries.

Dan
12-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Of the Collinites, 845IW is the one to try. It is one of the easiest to use LSPs there is, and probably the longest lasting, and it provides protection, not just water beading. I do think #16 looks better on silver than 476 or 845 though, haven`t tried 915.

imported_Amused
12-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I don`t think the supply of Meguiars 16 will ever dry up. I read somewhere else they still make it for sale in other countries.

It`s readily available in Canada and abroad, but you pay a premium getting it back over here in shipping and import pricing. The supply Rob is talking about is the old stock for sale on eBay that`s been selling at circa `04 prices (with free shipping). Once that runs out, it could be the real end to the US supply, but who knows?

It`s a bargain at $12/tin shipped to your door. Importing a tin back from the UK will run you over $35.

Rob Tomlin
12-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Of the Collinites, 845IW is the one to try. It is one of the easiest to use LSPs there is, and probably the longest lasting, and it provides protection, not just water beading. I do think #16 looks better on silver than 476 or 845 though, haven`t tried 915.

Thanks. I am intrigued by your answer, where you state that it "provides protection, not just water beading". What do you mean by this?

I have always thought that we should have more discussions on this forum about which LSP`s provide the best protection vs. how long they might last, or what the water beading/sheeting looks like.

For example, would a wax that supposedly lasts a year actually protect the paint from the elements (water spots, bird bombs, acid rain etc) as good as another product that may only last 2 or 3 months? :nixweiss

Rob Tomlin
12-11-2009, 01:29 PM
It`s readily available in Canada and abroad, but you pay a premium getting it back over here in shipping and import pricing. The supply Rob is talking about is the old stock for sale on eBay that`s been selling at circa `04 prices (with free shipping). Once that runs out, it could be the real end to the US supply, but who knows?

It`s a bargain at $12/tin shipped to your door. Importing a tin back from the UK will run you over $35.

Exactly! :2thumbs:

imported_Gears
12-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I use them both, 16 and 915. As much as I like 16 it just doesn`t look that great on anything other than silver and white. IMHO 915 lasts almost as long, but not as long as 476, and looks better on most colors.

If I could only have one it would be 915.

Cleaning Fool
12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
You can get 915 on ebay for $19

Dan
12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks. I am intrigued by your answer, where you state that it "provides protection, not just water beading". What do you mean by this?

I have always thought that we should have more discussions on this forum about which LSP`s provide the best protection vs. how long they might last, or what the water beading/sheeting looks like.

For example, would a wax that supposedly lasts a year actually protect the paint from the elements (water spots, bird bombs, acid rain etc) as good as another product that may only last 2 or 3 months? :nixweiss

There quite a few products that make paint shine and water bead, and that`s it. 845IW, I have tested pretty extensively and can say it keeps paint clean and minimizes any damage caused by the environment. It has been acid rain and bird bomb proof for me when applied at 3 month intervals.

Leadfootluke
12-11-2009, 03:41 PM
845IW, once you leave it in a warm area and shake it well, it like melted butter. Very easy to use. I`m aiming for protection though.

jaynick808
12-11-2009, 04:04 PM
one more vote for 845. i know 476 and 915 may possibly last a little longer, but ease of application and removal over the other two do it for me. in tropical climates like where i live 845iw is very liquid, only time i see it thick is when i first buy it. after that its like a bottle of 2/3 melted butter.

i like 845 so much i havent touched my 2 tins of #16, mostly cause i hear it looks better on light colors, plus i wanted to melt my #16 into a machine stick for easier machine application.

PWORLDSTANG
12-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Realistically, how hard is 845IW to apply?

I`ve read in the past that it`s rock hard, and like a candle in a bottle. But a lot of others say it`s easy on, easy off, and of course very durable.

I`ve never had a desire to try it out, but it gets so much praise here that my curiosity has me wondering is it really that great?

PWORLDSTANG
12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Rob, sending PM.

wannafbody
12-11-2009, 09:21 PM
845 is easy to apply and remove.