PDA

View Full Version : Newer SUV interior plastic

alloutdetailing
12-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Do you guys know that grey/silver trim plastic in these newer 03+ suvs? I have been seeing that this is extremely hard to clean. It`s almost like most of it is stained. What do you guys recommend?

Here is a picture. It`s the trim around the radio/climate controls/ect.

http://blogs.cars.com/photos/uncategorized/2008armadainterior.jpg

ten39
12-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Smooth silver trim is used extensively in my Titan (same basic auto which you posted above), and I find no ill side-effects when it comes to it`s ability to be cleaned. Simply wipes down like you`d expect any untextured interior plastic would.

BobD
12-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Smooth silver trim is used extensively in my Titan (same basic auto which you posted above), and I find no ill side-effects when it comes to it`s ability to be cleaned. Simply wipes down like you`d expect any untextured interior plastic would.

I`ve never had troubles either.

What are you using to clean them?

Street5927
12-10-2009, 11:26 AM
I have the same stuff on the interior of my 04` Titan, and also have no issues with cleaning them, or issues with staining.

StadiumDetail
12-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I`ve had the issues you describe in the newer model Tundra, had water spots all over it and they wouldn`t budge. I tried (in no perticular order) alcohol, solvents, dawn, compounds, polishes, cleaner waxes, basicly everything I had at my disposal and couldn`t remove them. I was taking off the silver with the compounds but since the spot wasn`t moving I quit trying so I didn`t damage anything.

I have detailed other vehilces with that same plastic, including the Titan, and never saw it again.

alloutdetailing
12-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I`ll see if I can take picture at the dealer tomorrow. Show you guys what I mean.

BobD
12-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I`ll see if I can take picture at the dealer tomorrow. Show you guys what I mean.

What are you using on it?

salty
12-11-2009, 02:54 AM
I see it all the time, doing auction recleans. I also see it on plastic parts. Must be from their APC and air compresser.

Never found a way to correct it, but never played with it either.

Usually a dressing will make it look better.