PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a 93 Mustang

uberyk
12-06-2009, 01:24 AM
got a call to take a look at a mustang that was taken out of storage.

93 5.0 in a metallic blue color.

car was already washed when I got there so we taped off a section of the roof, clayed and tried various pad/polish combos.

the most aggressive combo was SIP and Uber 5.5inch yellow.

The multiple steps def brought back a lot of gloss and I`m sure knocked out most of the swirling (didn`t have halogens handy to check thoroughly).

However, as shown in the pictures below, even the yellow pad/SIP wasn`t enough to knock out the scratches or etches.

I`m not really sure what they are. They`re too irregular in pattern to be pigtailing and considering how they`re on every panel of car, it doesn`t seem very random.

These marks are on the paint at about every inch or less.

Going to try some wetsanding tomorrow to see if that does the trick.

If anyone else has any ideas as to what these are and a good way to approach them, I`ll be more than glad to hear from you.

Will update after attempting the wetsanding.

black03mach
12-06-2009, 01:58 AM
looks like a form of reaction from there being some kind of contaminant like silicone before the paint was laid down...dont know how to help you there sorry

uberyk
12-06-2009, 08:38 PM
have yet to figure out what those marks are.

however, wetsanded a small test square and the results were pretty good.

spent about 10-15mins wetsanding an approx 5X4 rectangle with 2000grit, focusing on the deeper squiggles and pits.

Was able to smooth out the majority of the imperfections. Got most of the squiggles to the point where the outline wasn`t visible, only the really deep pitted points on the squiggles. As for the random pitting, it was lessened but the deep ones remain.

Overall the results are good, it took a lot of waviness out of the reflection as the squiggly imperfections were greatly reduced. The wetsanding marks came right out with the yellow pad/SIP combo. Followed with orange/SIP and blue/PO106FA. Cleaned up real nicely.

Debating whether it would be wise to move up to a more abrasive sandpaper like 1500 or 1000 instead of making multiple passes with 2000.

will post up pics as soon as I get em from my friend who took the pictures.