PDA

View Full Version : Circular scratches and how to fix

Pages : [1] 2

pduck
12-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I bought a 2004 black Saab a while ago and after a few months of washing, some circular scratches appeared. They kind of look like something from a rotary buffer. When I bought the car, I don`t remember seeing these. In fact, the paint looked to be in really good condition. Could the dealer just have covered up and disguised these defects with some kind of glaze or colored wax?

I`ve tried polishing the marks out with 1Z Paint Polish and NXT wax, but to no avail. Just out of curiosity, how do you think these marks were formed? What could be used to hide these marks like the dealer did? What would it take to correct the problem properly (I have no machines, just my hands)?

Thanks!

PS- Ignore the snowflakes in the photo.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/pducklow/IMG_0290saabpaintswirl.jpg

DrivingImpressions
12-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Did someone egg the car? I`ve seen cars that have been egged and the shell leaves those "scratches".

xconwrathx
12-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Thats definitely not a buffer mark, I was gonna say eggs as well.

imported_Jakerooni
12-04-2009, 09:01 PM
usualy need a bodyshop to fix that.... the impact damaged and stressed the clear and paint and cracked it...

GeorgesBlazah
12-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Looks like an egg mark to me.

pduck
12-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Very interesting. The car has never been egged while I`ve had it. It must have happened before I bought it and the dealer (or the detailer he hired) covered it up in some way.

Now the question is: what did he use?

mborner
12-05-2009, 10:44 AM
I think you guys are looking at two different things. The OP is asking about the circular mark in the middle of the photo. Those "spreckle" marks on the right side of the photo are on the glass.

imported_Jakerooni
12-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I think you guys are looking at two different things. The OP is asking about the circular mark in the middle of the photo. Those "spreckle" marks on the right side of the photo are on the glass.

No we`re looking at the paint. The speckles on the glass are snowflakes ;)

Darkstar752
12-05-2009, 11:09 AM

No, we`re talking about the paint. It got hit by an egg OP, and I don`t think anything the detailer used could have covered it up, since the cover-up would have to be black itself.

BTW, that needs a re-paint to fix it, but you could touch it up if you don`t wanna re-paint it quite yet.

dave40co
12-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I have heard on another forum that to temporarily cover the scratches you can use a magic marker and then seal it with a wax or sealant.

imported_Satinsilver
12-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I know there are some TW products that are black dyed/fillers that could have temporarily hidden those marks also.

imported_paintxpert
12-05-2009, 02:19 PM
It is NO DOUBT an egg. There is nothing to do but touch it up or visit a body shop for a new paint job on the door. The dealer was able to hide it from you that is called deception. Welcome to the honesty of dealerships. There are many ways to hide it but all are temporary. I see that costing between 3 and six hundred to paint the door. Saab paint is one of the worst out there in terms of correction of ease. It does not like to be compounded and could be very wheel mark prone if you DONT know what your doing.

Mike_Phillips
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
That`s definitely what`s called Impact Chips from the paint being hit by and egg.

Really touch to fix and make look better. I had this happen to a 1969 K5 Blazer I owned and I did successfully fill in the impact chips and then sand flat and buff out my sanding marks. This was a single stage enamel paint so the sanding marks buffed out very easy.

Sorry I have no pictures. In the location your Egging took place it will be very difficult to apply touch-up paint and then make it look good, check into the Dr. Color Chip repair system.

:)

xconwrathx
12-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I would not be surprised if it had been covered up with a Sharpie, saw some of the "detailers" do it at my old job. Right next to the rack of GM touch up paint, was a rainbow of Sharpie markers, the two were seen as interchangeable!

Accumulator
12-06-2009, 10:10 AM
... check into the Dr. Color Chip repair system...

You have any first-hand experience with that system? I`ve considered it for cases where I didn`t want to jump through all the regular hoops...