PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys, I`m New

Lucid Violence
12-02-2009, 01:22 AM
I wounder how many treads have started like that on this forum lol. Well I just got a decent looking car and I`d like to keep it that way. It`s is a 2003 Black Grand Prix GT if you wanted to know. So anyways now that I got a car with more paint then rust I went to Google for the "optimal" car wash and wax procedure and turned up 5000 different things and my head is spinning. Some how in my googleing I turned up this site.

Now I washed cars before you know, with a bucket and a hose and recently a pressure washer. Followed up with a coat of what ever wax catches my eye at the store. Now Id like to improve! I know now the 2 bucket technique with a wash mitt. I even picked up a clay bar. I`m still a little lost on what soaps to use to wash my car. I`m thinking if I`m going to wax I would use a different soap then if I was just washing right? Also I`ve always had problems with the wheel wheel and rims. What`s a good degreaser for this area?

I`m also wanting to get one of them Porter Cable 7424 to apply wax (and polish down the road a bit) but I`m finding my self at a loss on how to use one and what pad to use and what wax. Maybe a little help with this?

I know this post has went on wayyyyy to long but I hope it wasn`t TL;DR and I hope one of you guys has the patients to help me out. Thanks a bunch guys!

salty
12-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Welcome and just sit back and read. This stuff gets covered very often, and congratulations on your new car, you will soon have the nicest car on the block.

Lucid Violence
12-02-2009, 02:27 AM
I hope so! I`ve been reading all night and my head is still spinning hehe

Furd
12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
The pinned threads are your friend. You should find the answers to many/most of your questions there. You`ll find a few about proper wash techniques (which is probably to most important thing that you can learn) as well as using DA polishers.

I know of no reason why you would use a different car wash soap when waxing. You`ll probably want to clean the paint before waxing (unless you are polishing). The clay will serve that purpose, as will a paint cleaner, like a "cleaner wax." They work differently though.

With respect to products, everyone has their favorites. Griot`s car wash, Zaino`s Z7 and Optimum Car Wash are recommended by quite a few. Eagle One A2Z for wheels and tires. You`ll find many threads on those subjects.

I apply wax and sealants by hand. I`m an amateur though, so I can take my time and not worry about wear and tear on my arm.