PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations: Floor Jack and Jack Stands

Pages : [1] 2

imported_fugaz15
12-01-2009, 10:15 PM
What`s up fellas?

I`m looking to get a floor jack and jack stands for my car so I can better clean my wheels and rotate my tires myself.

I have a 2008 Accord Coupe, so I`d need a floor jack with a fairly low profile. Any recommendations? All are jack stands basically the same?

Home Depot sells a husky 2ton floor jack for about $50 and a pair of 2 ton jack stands for $25. Those prices seem a bit low for a quality product.

While I`m asking... any recommendations on a good torque wrench? Preferably don`t want to spend more than about $75 or $100.

Thanks!

Dave

Passrat
12-02-2009, 12:51 AM
I bought the Home Depot Husky and used it about 8-10 times in 2 years and it worked fine. I still have it.

But then I lowered my car and needed a true low profile jack. I found several online only and all for around $200 and up delivered.

I settled on this one for $200 shipped and it works great so far.

Arcan Quick Lift Service Jack — 3 1/2-Ton, Model# XL35 | Floor Jacks | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200345429_200345429)

But you should be able to use the Husky jack like I did with a pinch weld adapter to lift safely from the outer edge under the doors.

Adapter: Grip Pinchweld Jack Adapter (http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/grip-pinchweld-jack-adapter-p-12467.aspx)

Also check out Sears.

khjr
12-02-2009, 01:32 AM
But you should be able to use the Husky jack like I did with a pinch weld adapter to lift safely from the outer edge under the doors.

Adapter: Grip Pinchweld Jack Adapter (http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/grip-pinchweld-jack-adapter-p-12467.aspx)

Interesting. I`m curious about those, and am uncertain as to the intent or need.

When I jack up my (heavy) Honda Pilot from an undercar jack point, I use regular Sears heavy duty jack stands to support it at the pinchweld jack points. Would I need to buy a set of 4 of those adapters to properly support the car? Anyone have any stories as to what might happen otherwise?

Is it a matter of the car simply slipping off of the jack, or is there a concern for bending or crumpling that pinchweld somehow?

BobD
12-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Any jack stands you get will be fine. You don`t need some brand name stand. They all probably come from the same factory in China anyway. Same with the Jack. I`d just go to your local parts store.

BobD
12-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Interesting. I`m curious about those, and am uncertain as to the intent or need.

When I jack up my (heavy) Honda Pilot from an undercar jack point, I use regular Sears heavy duty jack stands to support it at the pinchweld jack points. Would I need to buy a set of 4 of those adapters to properly support the car? Anyone have any stories as to what might happen otherwise?

Is it a matter of the car simply slipping off of the jack, or is there a concern for bending or crumpling that pinchweld somehow?

I don`t get it either. It might be keeping the pinch seam from crushing but it`s putting the weight on something not intended for the job.

wn1998
12-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Sears Low profile Jack is onlu $59 and they are great!

Craftsman 2-1/2 Ton Floor Jack, Low Profile (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950165000P?keyword=floor+jack)

As for jack stands, just get a cheap set from walmart or similar store.

Candor
12-02-2009, 09:20 AM
I have that same Arcan, love it. Only had one car it wasn`t low enough to get under. I have maybe 6 jack stands from sears maybe??? I painted them black after the paint chipped off.

loco
12-02-2009, 11:26 AM
I have the Harbor Freight lightweight racing jack and it works great. I`ve used it for both my Miata and my mother`s 2000 Accord sedan.

ten39
12-02-2009, 12:10 PM
But then I lowered my car and needed a true low profile jack. I found several online only and all for around $200 and up delivered.

I settled on this one for $200 shipped and it works great so far.

Arcan Quick Lift Service Jack — 3 1/2-Ton, Model# XL35 | Floor Jacks | Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200345429_200345429)

Wow, that`s a nice jack! That`s the first consumer-grade jack I`ve seen that combines a fairly high weight rating, solid lift height, and low profile construction. Usually you have to sacrifice one of the three.

I don`t get it either. It might be keeping the pinch seam from crushing but it`s putting the weight on something not intended for the job.

It`s not bypassing the pinch welds for the sheet metal, like I believe you might be thinking. It actually allows the lifting force to be disbursed along the full length of that adapter, rather than the two 1/4" contact points you get with a traditional cupped round jack pad.

vtec92civic
12-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Sears just had a great sale. Was like $79 for:

3 Ton Jack

2 Jack Stands

Creeper

I have a 2009 Accourd Coupe and i use that floor jack with 0 issues.

wn1998
12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
sears low profile jack is great and only $59

Craftsman 2-1/2 Ton Floor Jack, Low Profile (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950165000P)

I would get jack stands from walmart or similar store for around $20/set

BostonDuce
12-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Jack and jack stands; AC; unmatched quality & hydraulics-will support it`s rating indefinitely without bleeding down; the jack stands have 1/2 steel push pins that pass through the stand cage positively locking the head in place.

Personally, I would not want to trust my a** under a car with any cheapo jack or stand. I`ve had hydraulic jack cylinders fail, and saw tooth stands ratchet down a few teeth when loaded. Drive it up on ramps if you need to keep the price down.

As far as a torque wrench goes; if you want just a basic model then a beam type will do, you can beat it around and it will still get you pretty close; if you need a more sophisticated one, then a click-stop model, however if you drop the click-stop or otherwise abuse it, it will loose it`s calibration. If you`re assembling the Space Shuttle then expect to spend $500-1000, otherwise a Sears Craftsman will do nicely.

BD

Spawne32
12-02-2009, 02:16 PM
lol you know i wrote a whole big thing yesterday only to have it get stuck in the moderation que nobody is looking at, point being, craftsman jacks and stands is all ive ever used since i was a teen. Stay away from AC Delco, or generally any jacks that have very small wheels.

BobD
12-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Wow, that`s a nice jack! That`s the first consumer-grade jack I`ve seen that combines a fairly high weight rating, solid lift height, and low profile construction. Usually you have to sacrifice one of the three.

It`s not bypassing the pinch welds for the sheet metal, like I believe you might be thinking. It actually allows the lifting force to be disbursed along the full length of that adapter, rather than the two 1/4" contact points you get with a traditional cupped round jack pad.

Yep, that`s what I was thinking. I get it now. That makes more sense!

getcha
12-02-2009, 04:49 PM
An easy way to do it guys, if you don`t want to buy a pinch weld adapter is to simply purchase a hockey puck or even a section of lumber then just cut out the width of the pinch weld and go.

Its MUCH easier than having to change the saddle if you had to jack it up by something other than a pinch weld