PDA

View Full Version : Can I remove this scratch from headlight lense?

Froggie
11-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Apologies if this is the wrong section or has been discussed at length elsewhere (I`m a noob...:2thumbs:), but I have sustained a relatively deep scratch on the polycarbonate lens of my 2010 VW Golf headlight. I was wondering if anyone knew of a product designed specifically for this kind of damage, like resin or other filler. I think it`s too deep to just polish out, but any tips would be most welcome. TIA :)

http://www.golfgti6.com/scratch.jpg

Infiniti9909
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
I would think it would be worth a try with Meg`s PlastX (depending on how deep the scratch actually is.) You should be able to find a bottle for $5-$10.

efnfast
11-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Can you feel the scratch with your finger? If so, you`re SOL.

jeteast99
11-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Can you feel the scratch with your finger? If so, you`re SOL.

Why? Can it just be wetsanded and polished?

alloutdetailing
11-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Don`t know how anal you are. but you can sand it down with a heavy wet/dry sand paper then work your way to 1500 then take some compound and buff it out. Will look as good as new!

There is a film on that plastic and no matter what you do at this point it will damage it so either way you go film is gone! hehe.

ten39
11-30-2009, 10:30 PM
IMO- leave it alone.

A scratch that deep (as it appears) will very likely require a decent level of abrasive action to work out, which will in turn remove the "clear coat" on the outside of the lens. That coating prevents the yellowing you see on older housings. Strip it off and you`re going to have one lens that needs a lot more regular maintenance than is currently required.

As for a filler similar to what is used on windshield fisheyes, I`ve personally never heard of such a product, but that doesn`t mean there`s not something, somewhere, that wouldn`t fit the bill. (Think I might have double-negative-ed myself out of logic there. :think:)

efnfast
11-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Why? Can it just be wetsanded and polished?

If it`s that deep I wouldn`t touch it.

Fact is, from the picture you posted, you can barely see it, which means IRL it`s probably not even visible. Not worth future headaches.

Froggie
12-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Many thanks for all your tips, much appreciated :) On balance, going on what you all say, I think I will just learn to live with the scratch. I can feel it, but it`s not too visible really.

loescb
12-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Check out the Headlight Light Restoration Kit from 3M, product works great for headlights. Check it out on Car Care Waxes, Polishes and Products for Vehicle Appearance, Performance, Maintenance and Restoration for the Professional and DIY`er. 3M: US (http://www.3mcarcare.com)