PDA

View Full Version : Question about black

solekeeper
11-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Waxes, I have Dodo Juice`s purple haze which is specifically made for Black or "dark" colored cars. I have my sisters car, which however, is white and she needs a wax. Desperately. My question is, will the wax hold up well on her car as it would with a black/dark colored car?

And also, what is it exactly that`s in a wax that makes it specifically for "dark" colored cars?

Thanks Guys!

Big Leegr
11-29-2009, 04:12 PM
The longevity of the wax isn`t dependant upon the color of the car. (Unless you want to debate how much hotter one color gets in the summer sun vs another.)

Unless you have a "color enhanced" wax like Turtle Wax sells (Color Match, or something) that`s actually tinted to help fill in scratches in a specific color, the typical reason a wax is intended for a dark or light color is the look it gives. Usually a deeper, warm look is more appreciable on a dark color. A shiny, highly reflective look is usually used on lighter colors, since it`s harder to get a deep reflection from those colors.

solekeeper
11-29-2009, 08:46 PM
So you think I`ll be fine using the wax on the white car?

Street5927
11-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes, as stated above, the color of the car does not dictate the durability/longevity of the wax. The wax is designed to add gloss to darker colored vehicles, but it will last just as long on a black car as it does a white one, provided that they are applied the same.

craigdt
11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Ditto. In some ways, I dont really like how Dodo has marketed some waxes for certain colors (although it has been arguably successful) because its adds to the confusion of finding the right LSP.

ALAN81
11-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Next time go with Supernatural it goes better with all colors

craigdt
11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Good point! Can go wrong with SN

SoCalB6
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
From my experience, using a wax that is intended for black vehicles on light colored vehicles will cause them to spontaneously catch on fire when driving at speeds over 45mph. Especially on a overcast, yet humid days.:p

Seriously, the color recommendation doesn`t matter. As stated above some waxes contain more filler than others to hide imperfections. A wax that is stated for black cars will typically be heavy on the fillers. Then you have stuff like TW Black Box which is funny, imo. Anyhow, make sure to prep the surface properly by using a paint cleaner at the very least, or using a clay bar.

Accumulator
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
.. A wax that is stated for black cars will typically be heavy on the fillers....

Or oils, to give "depth" and "jetting".

I used Souveran on white for ages with good results, and it`s still my wife`s fave on Audi silver. Yet I only seem to recommend it to others for blacks and reds :D

Heh heh, if I were doing somebody else`s white car, I`d just use Colinite. Which is what I pretty much *always* use on other people`s vehicles. One coat and it`s "really waxed..gee, look at the beading!", and it`ll stay that way for a good long time. IF the local store has some Collinite on the shelf for a few bucks....

solekeeper
12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Cool! Thanks alot guys! I originally bought the Dodo Juice for my Black FX.

But it`s sold now, so I`m looking to put it to use :)