PDA

View Full Version : Mirror finish on Black Paint?

Pages : [1] 2

cheetoh
11-29-2009, 11:51 AM
I went to the local Cars and Coffee yesterday. There was an Older Black Shelby Mustang there. This Car had a Mirror finish, There was no micro marring or anything, It had a mirror finish. How can I do something like this to the Finish on My 2000 Pontiac Firehawk?

Carticular
11-29-2009, 12:27 PM
I got a mirror finish from M105 and M205, absolutely no marks/marring/swirls whatsoever, I was simply amazed. I don`t use wax but I know it can help make your paint appear like it is "perfect" as long as most of the swirls were taken care of with a polish.

imported_Jakerooni
11-29-2009, 12:57 PM
polish it correctly and you`ll have a mirror finish...

HiMyNameIsSean
11-29-2009, 04:37 PM
I got a mirror finish from M105 and M205, absolutely no marks/marring/swirls whatsoever, I was simply amazed. I don`t use wax but I know it can help make your paint appear like it is "perfect" as long as most of the swirls were taken care of with a polish.

Wax is there to protect the mirror finish you just spent all that time getting. I`d start using some.

:LOLOL

Carticular
11-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Wax is there to protect the mirror finish you just spent all that time getting. I`d start using some.

:LOLOL

LOL, don`t worry, I use a sealant.

HiMyNameIsSean
11-29-2009, 06:29 PM
^ :woot: Thank god

Furd
11-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Zaino will get you a mirror-like finish.

Dan
11-30-2009, 10:54 AM

LOL. Too funny.

Cleaning Fool
11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Polish your car till you can`t feel your arms, you will get that mirror finish.

Rob Tomlin
11-30-2009, 06:27 PM
I went to the local Cars and Coffee yesterday. There was an Older Black Shelby Mustang there. This Car had a Mirror finish, There was no micro marring or anything, It had a mirror finish. How can I do something like this to the Finish on My 2000 Pontiac Firehawk?

Seems funny to see a post like this from someone who has been a member here since 2002?! :confused:

cheetoh
11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Seems funny to see a post like this from someone who has been a member here since 2002

I don`t post here much. My Car look very Good, Have won many CAR SHOW AWARDS, but this Car was exceptional. I mean it was truely like looking into Glass... I would love to know how it was done and how he maintains it. I asked, But nothing was said.

Rob Tomlin
11-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I don`t post here much. My Car look very Good, Have won many CAR SHOW AWARDS, but this Car was exceptional. I mean it was truely like looking into Glass... I would love to know how it was done and how he maintains it. I asked, But nothing was said.

Well, there is nothing magical about detailing. As indicated earlier in the thread: polish it correctly and you too will have a mirror finish.

craigdt
11-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Indeed.

Along with Turtle wax, Mothers, Nattys Blue and Zymol Solaris: with properly polished paint.

Rob Tomlin
11-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Indeed.

Along with Turtle wax, Mothers, Nattys Blue and Zymol Solaris: with properly polished paint.

:2thumbs:

rcrobbins
12-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Getting that true, 100% mirror goes well beyond what any polish/wax can provide. The reflective surface relies on body prep, primer, basecoat, clearcoat and leveling orange peel. Once you ensure each of those primary components are perfected in unison, you can achieve "mirror" results with a simple pass of M105 and proper technique. Now is when polishes, glazes and waxes come into play as enhancers. You can`t go wrong with any that you use, but each displays a different characteristic when applied. Such as reflectivity or "shine", warmth, depth, luster, vibrancy...once you choose the combos that work best in your eyes, you will get nothing short of "amazing".

I hate displaying my work, but I feel these examples can clarify my ramblings:

This quarter panel displays those "primary components" to the best of my abilities. Mind you, this surface is displaying the "trueness" of the paint in the last stages of wetsanding.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/rcrobbin/lemans/100_0824.jpg

This is displaying a single, yet correctly applied, pass with M105.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/rcrobbin/lemans/100_0827.jpg

The whole panel after completing the single compounding pass.

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo307/rcrobbin/lemans/100_0833.jpg

I hope this helps show how this system of components works. After this first pass, I sometimes think and view it as a "raw mirror". From here, the individual adds specific features (from selected products traits) to the mirror in a way they feel is artistic and expressed as "perfection" in their eyes.